Re: [ddlm-group] Relationship asmong CIF2, STAR,CIF1 and Python. . . .. .. .

On Friday, January 14, 2011 6:02 PM, I wrote:
>On Friday, January 14, 2011 2:30 PM, Herbert J. Bernstein wrote:
>
>>   I would suggest recalling that this CIF2 exercise began with
>>tryin to define a DDLm/dREL-friendly version of CIF.  To the best
>>of my knowledge, the current DDLm spec is at what is published
>>on the IUCr web site under http://www.iucr.org/resources/cif/ddl/ddlm
>>with draft documents from August 2008.  I propose that we all
>>take the time to review those documents and make a conscious
>>effort to decide if we wish to make use of them as a
>>base for CIF2 or not.  They contain many points relevant
>>to the current discussion.
>
>This is an eminently reasonable suggestion, and I have endeavored to take it.  I find I need more time to formulate the results of my analysis, >but they do not lead me to the same conclusion that Herbert has reached, that we should start over from scratch.  However, we can, perhaps, >consider each of the changes in our current draft, as Herbert prodded us to do, and evaluate them against this group's mandate and objectives.  >We might now draw different conclusions about some of them.
>
>I decline to work on this over the weekend, and Monday is a U.S. holiday, so it will be at least Tuesday before a I respond more fully.

I find that James has raised all the points I had intended to make about CIF2 / DDLm / dREL compatibility.  He has furthermore covered the topic of validating CIF1 files against a DDLm dictionary, more fully than I would have been able to do.  I will not clutter this list with repetition of his arguments, so my promised full response is indefinitely deferred.  To the extent that I wish to respond to the past few days' storm of e-mail, I will do so in focused responses to individual messages.

Regards,

John

--
John C. Bollinger, Ph.D.