Re: [ddlm-group] Objectives of CIF2 syntax discussion. .

Dear David,

   That was very helpful.  You want to maintain one dictionary that will
dynamically act as a DDL1, DDL2 or DDLm dictionary. Fair enough.  But then
shouldn'e the information on what alias is intended for what style of
output simply be in the alias tags.  It is not really a matter of which
dictionary it come from, but of which of several alternate styles of tags
it conforms to.

   Right now the alias category has 2 tags,

   _alias.definition_id
   _alias.dictionary_uri

We could both do what we need to do without conflicting if there were a
third tag

   _alias.tag_style

which would simply be a character string, such as DDL1, DDL2, DDLm,
my_new_style, ... which could be used to tie together the style of tags to
be used for a particular dictionary use, both for validation of input and
for generation of output.  If no particular style had been specified, the
save frame name would win.  This would bring the data on which are DDL1
names and which are DDL2 names for the core values neatly together on one
core dictionary without having to know if any other dictionaries were DDL1
style and which are DDL2 style.  The DDLm dictionary would have all the
information right there and would not even need to refer to the older
dictionaries on most cases to work with DDL1 and DDL2 data files.

   For my work, this would be just as effective as the import ... as ... or
my method_alias suggestion in allowing me to use CIF1 tags that are
illegal under CIF2 without requiring us to allow those names as valid tags
in DDLm dictionaries.

   Could you accept _alias.tag_style, and perhaps allowing
_alias.dictionary_uri to be omitted when not really needed?  This would be
a big help to me in then making a DDLm imgCIF dictionary that could not
only replace the DDL2 dictionary, but could also, for the first time
provide a DDL1 version of all imgCIF tags.  I could even then
automatically produce valid DDL1 and DDL2 dictionaries from the DDLm
dictionary source, making thr DDLm dictionary the only version that I
would have to maintain.

   Thank you again.  That was really very helpful.

   Regards,
     Herbert