Re: [ddlm-group] Objectives of CIF2 syntax discussion. .. .. .

Dear John,

   Clearly there will be cases in which a true DDL1 dictionary
will be necessary for DDL1 validation and a true DDL2 dictionary will be
necessary for DDL2 dictionary, but I think there is a significant
possibility of being able to create a single DDLm dictionary that
can be used in different modes, but with exactly the same text
and methods in the dictionary itself, for true DDL1, true DDL2 and DDLm
validation.  Personally, my intention is to do precisely that
for imgCIF, so that there will be one, new DDLm imgCIF dictionary
that can be used to validate exsiting DDL2-style CBFs, that
will be suitable to validate new CIF2 style CBFs, and, as
a bonus, add the ability to have DDL1-style CBFs.  You may
or may not choose to do that for the mmCIF dictionary and PDB files that
you generate, but I suggest you may find it useful to make a
DDLm mmCIF dictionary that can be used to validate the wild
and hairy varieties (styles )of CIFS that depositors are likely to come
up with to give you data.

A disadvantage of the current alias mechanism is that it
is unclear about the priority to be given to tags from
other dictionaries.   That is fine when all you want from
the input validation is to do a translation of the foreign
dictiionary tags to the local equivalents, but in the world
we are now entering it is likely be be very useful to be
able to work in that older mode, but also to be able to
validate against the style of the older dictionaries without
having to keep maintaining them, and for filling in missing
values, to be able to generate the old-style tags, rather
than the new-style tags to not give indigestion to legacy
sofware that does not know about DDLm.  Perhaps 10 or 20
years from now, all data and software will have been converted
to just use DDLm style tags, but in the meantime, flexible
alias mechanisms will help with the transition.  _alias.tag_style
makes the alias mechanism more flexible and less dependent
on keeping and maintaining the old dictionaries.  It is just
an option.  Perhaps it will only be used in the imgCIF
dictionary, but it is a useful option, and I suspect it
will get used elsewhere as well.

Regards,
   Herbert