Re: [ddlm-group] DDLm aliases (subject changed). .. .

Dear John,

   OK -- does anyone object to identifier_set in place of ensemble?

   My personal motivation is to move to one DDLm dictionary that will
become the primary maintenance vehicle for the DDLm, DDL2 and a new
DDL1 versions of imgCIF.  I believe that this approach will simplify
the entire move to DDLm while continuing to support DDL1 and DDL2
for other dictionaries, but that use is up to the maintainers of
those other dictionaries.

   The established approach of just using aliases against other
dictionaries will work fine as long as the appropriate dictionary
is a distinct other document, but becomes a problem once more
people move to DDLm dictionaries as the primary dictionaries
for multiple uses as DDLm, DDL1 and DDL2 dictionaries, a capability
explicitly promised on the IUCr web site.

   To trespass on David's territory -- once he has a complete core
dictionary, why should the new mmCIF DDLm dictionary have its
own copy of the core as it now does.  It should simply import
David's new core for the same purpose, but that new core should,
in my opinion, simply define both the dotted notation tags for
new CIFs and in the same dictionary define the old DDL1 style
tags with no need to refer to the original DDL1 core dictionary.
That way the core gets maintained in one place, not 2 or 3,
and your effort just focuses maintaining truly mmCIF items.
Then I, in imgCIF, would import both your mmCIF and David's
core.

   To me, it makes sense.  That does not mean you cannot continue
to do what you are currently doing, but I think you will find
the more organized DDLm approach to be a better division of labor.

   Regards,
     Herbert