Re: [ddlm-group] DDLm aliases (subject changed). .. .. .. .. .. .

Dear Colleagues,

   I am sorry to hear that John Bollinger "cannot agree to the expanded key
for the ALIAS category" because he believes "This is not a philosophical
question, but rather one of correctly modeling the data domain.
Furthermore, this particular question also has nothing to do with
macromolecular data processing.  DDLm is a language for writing
*dictionaries*.  Macromolecular data CIFs will not contain items from the
ALIAS, DICTIONARY_XREF, or IDENTIFIER_SET categories, nor from any other
DDLm category."

   This is remarkably strange coming from someone who was already pressing
to expand the ALIAS category with the xref_code object, and who seems
unaware the the only reason for any need to expand the key of ALIAS is to
allow the denormalized form that he and David were originally asking for.

   It is even mare remarkably strange to hear the view that "this
particular question has nothing to do with macromolecular data
processing."  The _only_ reason DDL2 exists at all was to allow for the
creation of mmCIF.  Without the needs of macromolecular crystallography
and the efforts of John Westbrook to adapt CIF to the needs of that
domain, we would only have to deal with the much simpler and flatter view
of the world in DDL1 as represented by the very successful core CIF, and
DDLm would have just been an exercise in adding methods to DDL1 without
the need to manage complex related category structures.

   The only point of having the dictionaries and the various DDLs is to
support the data domains, and if we cannot ground features in the needs of
those domains we really should consider dropping those features.

   So, returning to actually getting work done -- if David needs similar
features to support definition sets up at the ALIAS catgeory level then my
proposal is a reasonable way to do both that and to support the more
normaized form I will be using. If David is not going to be using such
features for the core, we can leave out the ability to do the denormalized
form for now.

   So, there seeming to be nothing left of substance in this discussion
other than matters of taste, could we please choose one of three
approaches to my introducing the definition sets:

   1.  As proposed; or
   2.  As proposed but without the ability to do the parent join
and therefore without the need to expand the ALIAS key; or
   3.  As proposed, but with a BplusS_ prefix when I use it
in the imgCIF dictionary and a modified version of the mmCIF
dictionary to support imgCIF.

I need to get to work on implementing this before Madrid.  As entertaining
as this discussion may be, it is time to make decisions and get real code
implemented.

Regards,
   Herbert

P.S. "Data modeling is part and parcel of dictionary authorship, so there
is every reason to expect that dictionary authors will be prepared to
express their dictionaries in suitably normalized form, according to
whatever presentation normalization rules ultimately are adopted for
DDLm." is unrealistic for the macromolecular crystallographic community,
which has vigorously rebelled against the strictures of DDL2 and seems
likely to totally reject anything in DDLm that makes it any more complex
and confusing.