Re: [ddlm-group] DDLm aliases (subject changed). .. .. .. .. .

Dear Colleagues,

   There are two very distinct sets of issues in David's
message:

   1.  The management of specification changes in the DDLm
dictionary; and

   2.  The issues of the particular change being considered
here.

Let me address only the first issue here:  the management
of specification changes in the DDLm dictionary.

Both John B. and David seem uncomfortable with the idea of
deprecation rather than abrupt removal of a feature or
definition.  I refer you to the wikipedia article on
deprecation at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecation

and quote the first paragraph:

"In computer software or authoring programs standards and documentation,
the term deprecation is applied to software features that are superseded
and should be avoided. Although deprecated features remain in the current
version, their use may raise warning messages recommending alternative
practices, and deprecation may indicate that the feature will be removed
in the future. Features are deprecatedrather than being removedin order to
provide backward compatibility and give programmers who have used the
feature time to bring their code into compliance with the new standard."

In standards work, the approach has changed over time.  At the time
of Fortran 77, ANSI did not permit deprecation, only removal of
a feature.  Now ANSI not only permits deprecation, must, at least for
software standards, it is the norm for the reasons stated in the
wikipedia.

Thus the real question is whether there is enough invested in
the items being removed to justify retaining them for a while
in deprecated form.  We have no way of knowing.  DDLm has been
posted on the IUCr web site since 2007.  We have no way of
knowing who has seen it and started code development based on
it.  The prudent thing to do, whether we deprecate or remove,
or add a feature is to call attention to the change.  We can
and should do that in separate change documents, but it also
helps to put the warning directly in the DDLm dictionary itself.
If we simply remove a deprecated item, we lose a very convenient
place to put that notice.

There is also the issue of never duplicating tags.  Especially
while DDLm is in this developmental state, there is the risk,
if we remove a tag completely, that we will reintroduce it
later with the same name, but a different meaning -- causing
unnecessry confusion.

So, what I suggest is that we follow the following discipline:

1.  If we are removing an item, that we retain that item
in the dictionary for at least 5 years with one of the
following notations:

***DEPRECATED ITEM DO NOT USE
    RETAINED FOR REFERENCE ONLY***

***DEPRECATED ITEM DO NOT USE
    FOR NEW DEVELOPMENT WORK
    RETAINED ONLY TO SUPPORT
    EXISTING CODE AND DATA****

2.  That all deprecated items be gathered
into a segregated section of any relevant
dictionary.

3.  When a deprecated item is finally removed
from a dictionary, that a record be kept in
a separate deprecated items dictionary to
ensure against reuse of the deprecated
tag with a conflicting meaning.

Regards,
   Herbert