Re: [ddlm-group] DDLm aliases (subject changed). .. .. .. .. .. .... .

Hi Herb,

I am trying to follow your discussion with respect to the appropriate
basis for alias.    From my perspective, it is important to retain
item_name, dictionary name, and version as the identifier.  There
are currently no conventions on dictionary naming that distinguish
version details.    Also, it is a DDL2 convention that aliases refer
specifically to the same item of data (e.g. semantically equivalent
items).

John

On 2/1/11 5:59 PM, Herbert J. Bernstein wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Supposing that we do adopt the view that unique identification of
>> definitions requires at least definition_id and a dictionary
>> identifier, ALIAS is not even a proper relation unless a dictionary
>> identifier (such as xref_code) is added to the category key.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> I would be very happy having fully normalized DDLm dictionaries, but
>>> I can cope with denormalized dictionaries, just as I have to cope
>>> with denormalized datafiles -- indeed, for some search procedures,
>>> I deliberately denormalize dictionaries internally.  It
>>> sounds like John B. wants to stick to fully normalized DDLm dictionaries.
>>
>> Hmm.  I would be happy to see dictionaries define data models that
>> comply with higher normalization forms, but that is a design
>> decision that should rest with their authors and maintainers.  I
>> would in particular like DDLm itself to describe a highly normalized
>> model for its own domain (dictionaries), though exactly which form
>> would be most appropriate is an open question.  Ensuring that DDLm
>> describes a well-normalized data model does not force other DDLm
>> dictionaries to describe equally normalized models.  *Presentation*
>> of these models, on the other hand, remains a separate issue,
>> discussed next.
>>
>>> While this has some impact on software developers, it has very little
>>> direct impact on users -- so what do people think:
>>>
>>>     Should all DDLm dictionaries be fully normalized (if so, to which level
>>> of normalization) or
>>>
>>>     Should DDLm dictionaries bee allowed the same flexibility as
>>> data files in being denormalized?
>>
>> I see no reason why DDLm instance documents (i.e. dictionaries)
>> should have different presentation rules than the instance documents
>> they themselves describe.  Given a valid, possibly-denormalized
>> instance document and a dictionary with which it complies, it must
>> be possible to programmatically normalize the instance to the form
>> described by the dictionary (else the document contains
>> inconsistencies and therefore is invalid).  DDLm dictionaries are
>> instance documents of DDLm, so there is no need for different
>> behavior with respect to them.
>>
>> Although I think the same applies to DDLm's own presentation, I am
>> concerned about what would happen if DDLm were presented in a
>> denormalized form that contained inconsistencies.  Rather than
>> expend continuing effort to ensure that a denormalized presentation
>> of DDLm remains consistent, I would rather expend effort to express
>> and maintain DDLm in its self-defined normalized form.  In any case,
>> I emphasize again that allowing a denormalized presentation is not
>> at all the same thing as defining a denormalized model.
>>
>> None of the foregoing settles just what presentation rules DDLm
>> should actually require with respect to joined categories.  Should
>> denormalizing joins be permitted?  There is a cost/benefit analysis
>> to be performed here, but I'm not up to attempting it at the moment.

   John Westbrook, Ph.D.
   Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology
   610 Taylor Road
   Piscataway, NJ 08854-8087
   e-mail: jwest@rcsb.rutgers.edu
   Ph:  (732) 445-4290  Fax: (732) 445-4320