Re: [ddlm-group] Vote on moving elide discussion to COMCIFS. .. .

Dear Simon,

   Thank you for your substantive response.  I grant that there
is no way to know how many crystallographers use any particular
programming language directly, but those who have to implement
the software need to make CIF2 and DDLm a reality are very
likely to be reasonably familiar with Python, and the Python
GUI, IDLE, provide a very convenient test environment to
see what some particular quoted string unwinds to.

   I thinks John W.'s point deserves particularly careful
consideration.  With what is going on right now in the U.S.
Congress those of us in the US at least are likely to be
very short of funds and resources that require funds for the
next few years.  Anything we do to leverage existing technologies
helps in surviving a very difficult period for doing any science
at all.  That applies both to CIF developers and to users.
We need to make things as easy and inexpensive as possible
consistent with getting done what we need to get done.

   That is why I think your F-type proposal is a reasonable
fall-back if it is otherwise impossible to get agreement
on using Python for now.  It is not terribly inconsistent
with Python and at least leverages a portion of the CIF1.1
software effort.  It well may end up as the final compromise,
but the current budget crunch on the US makes Ralf's proposal,
which, I believe will require less effort in software development,
more attractive to me.

   I, too, would prefer that we had opted for a lexical definition
for CIF2 that did not require any reformatting of strings.
Fortunately we now seem to have agreed to continue support
for CIF1.1 DDL1 and DDL2 data files, so the "maximally
disruptive" approach adopted for CIF2 is less problematic
than it might otherwise have been.  Having chosen to require
the reformatting of CIF1.1 strings for them to be acceptable
as CIF2, the question become one of how to deal with the
difficult cases.  Having some form of the triple quotes
allows those difficult cases to be handled easily, and using the
well-documented and software-supported python approach Ralf
suggested will, I believe, minimize the overall level of confusion
in this process.

   In any case, thank you very much for clarifying why you prefer
proposal F to P.

   Regards,
     Herbert

P.S.  If the current U.S. House budget resolution goes through,
we are not talking about delays in new grants, we are talking
about major recisions in current grants, major layoffs at
synchrotrons and labs, and an end to scientific careers for
many young people.  (The proposed cuts for the U.S. Department
of Energy Office of Science are about 20% from current spending
levels for the entire year, coming 6 months into the year.  That
means effective budget cuts of 30 - 40%). Let us hope that it
does not happen, but anything we can do to conserve resources
in infrastructure efforts would be the right thing to do.

Yes, I am being alarmist.  There are times when being alarmist
is the right thing to do.  I think that this is one of those
times.