From: Herbert J. Bernstein <yaya@bernstein-plus-sons.com>
To: Group finalising DDLm and associated dictionaries <ddlm-group@iucr.org>
Sent: Tuesday, 22 February, 2011 12:01:23
Subject: Re: [ddlm-group] Technical issues with Proposal P

Dear Colleagues,

  Working under the assumption of Ralf's proposal, rather
than Simon's, we have several very distinct string presentaions
to consider:  a (non-raw) treble quoted string, a raw treble
quoted string a unicode treble quoted string and a raw unicode
treble quoted string.  As for Python 3, under CIF2, because
the "native" character encoding is UTF-8, under reasonable coding
constraints, this collapses to just two cases the application
needs to deal with:  non-raw (i.e. cooked) versus raw.  The intent of
the cooked is for the lexer to process the elides, so the response
I gave is, I believe correct -- just push the string through IDLE.
The intent of the raw is precisely to push through the string
with the backslahes still in place, e.g. for TeX text in which
you don't want to double-up your backslashes.  While I personally
would recommend against such a use of raw, it is not ambiguous.
It gives the application a very well-defined string of characters
to deal with.  Yes, there are applications that are intended to
deal with CIF with the encoding exposed (e.g. cif2cbf, cif2cif, etc.)
bit, I agree that the cleanest design is for an application to
only make use of the string content, not the representation.

  Thus, for most applications, I would recommend that they treat

  """\\\"""" and r"""\""""

as equivalent, but for applications that are, for example,
intended to do faithful copies of the representations that
they treat them as different.

  We have had, and will continue to have this subtle problem
with all versions of CIF in the handling of things such as
magic number, comments, white space, line folding, and choices
of quoting characters.  I don't see how the introduction of
the Python treble quote makes the situation any worse or
any more or less ambiguous.

  Regards,
    Herbert