Re: [ddlm-group] Fwd: Fwd: Searching for a compromise on eliding. .

Dear Colleagues,

   While John B. is right about what you _can_ do in writing for
proposals F and GP, remember that F and GP include the \\ elide,
which would then allow sensible users to safely double _all_
backslashes that they want carried through unchanged.  These
people will have a lot less trouble in managing their strings
than people who try to work on the sharp boundary of a
protocol that well may change as CIF2 and DDLm shake down in
real use.  The ability to do this in CIF writers, making for very robust
data, is a strong reason to favor P, P-prime, F and GP, over
F' or G.

   Regards,
     Herbert