Re: [ddlm-group] CIF2 semantics

Dear John,

   I have been discussing the meaning of a string that looks like a
number in the absence of a dictionary, saying that that string should
be treated as something other than a number.  When we were writing
the CIF 1.1 spec we did not intend to change the well-established
CIF rule that such a string should be treated as a number.  If
you have found an error in the CIF 1.1 spec which leads to a reading
saying something else, then you should propose a correction to the
CIF 1.1 spec to conform to the well-established CIF rule, just
as I have proposed fixing the error in the CIF 1.1 spec to require
the terminal whitespace at the end of a text field.

   I don't see any problem to be solved in the example you gave.
If the 2 CIFs are intended to be processed without a dictionary,
they are equivalent.  If one or the other is intended to be
processed with a dictionary, they may or may not be equivalent
depending on what the dictionaries say.  How is that a problem?
If I don't want any ambiguity, I should quote the strings and
they will be treated as different strings even without a dictionary.

   Maybe I a missing something in what you are saying.

   This group started with a simple practical charge to get DDLm
dictinaries in use.  We seem to have drifted very far from that
highly desirable goal.  Instead we seem to be focused in creating
a new and different CIF data format.  Why are we doing that?
What problem are we solving?

   I am used to the idea that you start with a user external functional
spec, freeze that, and then design to that spec.  We seem to be in
the software engineering failure mode called specification creep.
Please, let us stop and start over.

   Regards,
     Herbert