From: yayahjb [mailto:yayahjb@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2013 5:30 PM
To: Group finalising DDLm and associated dictionaries
Cc: Bollinger, John C
Subject: Re: [ddlm-group] Unicode string equivalence in CIF2.0

There is nothing new about this problem simply because of the use of Unicode.  CIF1 has allowed arbitrary system-dependent text encodings, e.g. EBCDIC and ASCII and CDC display code.
The comparison of files there came down to comparison of the printable text.  I would suggest continuing the same approach for CIF2 -- two CIFS are equivalent if they present the same printable text -- making all the pre-composed and decomposed presentations of the same printed information equivalent.  I cannot see any other way to have portable meaningful category keys.