Re: [ddlm-group] Proposal to enhance the behaviour of a DDLm "Set"category: please consider

Dear Herbert and others,

Here are two blog posts. The first analyses in mind-numbing detail the concept of a 'Set' dataname, and the second looks at two ways we might lift the 'single-value' restriction.

https://cifmusings.wordpress.com/2016/06/03/understanding-single-valued-cif-datanames/
https://cifmusings.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/can-we-safely-loop-an-unlooped-category/

I am currently working up a second proposal and pondering it from different angles before sending it out.

If imgCIF 'adds keys to categories' that could easily cause issues for software. For example, if you decide that a child key of 'scan.id' should be added to all categories that previously used only 'frame_id' as the key, any software that relies on a unique frame name to find a row will fail.  It wants 'frame 1' but there may be 10 'frame 1's.  I surmise that the only reason no problems have been encountered is that the intersection of files that include the new keys, and legacy imgCIF software that doesn't expect the keys, is exceedingly rare. If Herbert perhaps give an example of a key addition that occurred in the past that would help to confirm or refute this supposition.

all the best,
James.