Re: [ddlm-group] Dictionary versioning

  • To: Group finalising DDLm and associated dictionaries <ddlm-group@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ddlm-group] Dictionary versioning
  • From: "Bollinger, John C" <John.Bollinger@STJUDE.ORG>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 14:02:10 +0000
  • spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Dear DDLm group,

I completely agree with James’s suggestion to use semantic versioning as the basis for dictionary version numbers.  These principles are probably familiar already to most people on this group, but some may be unaware that there is an actual standard-ish document describing them, published at http://semver.org/.  As presented there, semver is focused on software versioning, but inasmuch as the purpose is determining and managing compatibility between separately-maintained, interdependent software components, I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to apply them to separately-maintained, interdependent data components, such as CIF dictionaries.

As for the behavior of combining dictionaries to form a composite, we now have two procedures for that: the dictionary merging protocol, documented in ITvG 3.1.9.1, and DDLm’s importing facility.  I suppose James uses the term “import” specifically in reference to DDLm’s import mechanism, but we should not neglect the dictionary merging protocol.  If we don’t want to give it any other consideration then we should at least say that the rest of this discussion, and in particular the principles for assigning version numbers to dictionaries, are specific to DDLm dictionaries.  If that were the direction we went, then I would furthermore recommend deprecating the dictionary merging protocol for use with DDLm dictionaries.

As far as the behavior of DDLm importation when existing and imported attributes collide, we should clarify exactly what situation or situations that would be.  Since the issue is couched in terms of attributes, not whole definitions, I suppose we must be talking about an import defined with

_import_details.mode 'Contents'

, else there is no scope for an attribute-level collision.  Is that correct?  If so, the question seems to assume that the associated value of _import_details.if_dupl is not relevant in that case.  Such an assumption is consistent with the letter of that item’s definition, but seems perhaps contrary to its spirit.  If this is the path we are traversing, then I think we should clarify the meaning and applicability of _import_details.if_dupl as a threshold issue for the rest of this discussion.

For reference, I’m looking at the current version of DDLm as published on the IUCr web site, version 3.11.09.

Regards,

John

--

John C. Bollinger, Ph.D.