Re: Request for comment (Cracow1001)

Davide Viterbo wrote:

> The proposed program represents a good balance.
>
> 1 -  I agree with Tassos comment about the 'New' Structural Problems.
> Most of the problems are not new, they are simply unsolved or
> solved in an unsatisfactory way. Instead of "new" I propose to say
> "difficult" or "hard". The other problem is that P.Main, proposed as
> chairman,  should also give a contribution on wavelets and I hope =20
> there no  question of incompatibility between the two things.

 Probabilistic techniques became part of direct methods 30 years ago,
and now they are slowly being incorporated into macromolecular
methodology. There are still many Qs to answer - the models are much
more complex and harder to parameterise; and the data is not of the same
quality as that for more perfect crystals. The problems are not new but
the avenues are not yet exhausted and there are interesting new
approaches to discuss. There are many excellent young speakers with
interesting things to discuss. At the last macromolecular workshop I
attended i have heard excellent presentations from Tasos, Thomas
Schneider, Paul Adams, Ralf Grosse-K., and from York, from Garib
Murshudov, Tom Oldfield and Kevin Cowtan. There were also many good
presentations from students and young post-docs.

 Yves suggestions re Web based teaching would be interesting. The person
who has taken most responsibility for this at Birkbeck in London would
be a good person to get involved. I thing it is Hugh Driessen. Kevin
Cowtan also has some extremely nice ideas.

 Structure validation I think needs to be discussed again and again,
espec with the onset of high-throughput structure solution. Gerard
Kleywgt has done a great deal of work.

 Eleanor Dodson