Archive of discussion list

  • To: epc-l@iucr.org
  • Subject: Archive of discussion list
  • From: Brian McMahon <bm.iucr.org>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 16:54:26 +0000 (GMT)
Thanks to Howard for his introduction and welcome.

The listproc software which we are using has its own archive (and digest)
facilities, which may be adequate for miost people's uses. However, I also
have a separate program called MHonArch, which produces pretty html archives
of mail discussions, and I propose to run it daily to provide an archive of
this list.

The URL will be http://www.iucr.org/iucr-top/lists/epc-l/ (this will not be
distributed to the mirror servers during this initial testing phase, but it
is feasible to download it to the mirrors to provide easy accessibility to
public discussion archives).

It is also feasible to put password protection on such archives, to make
them private, but that would involve considerable administrative overhead.
Hence i am suggesting that archives of this form should be provided only for
public lists.

I welcome your comments on this, and more generally on the ways in which
we can offer these list-processing and archiving services to the community.

Regards
Brian McMahon                                             tel: +44 1244 342878
Research and Development Officer                          fax: +44 1244 314888
International Union of Crystallography                  e-mail:  bm@iucr.ac.uk
5 Abbey Square, Chester CH1 2HU, England                         bm@iucr.org