Re: IUCr Policy on the Creation and Management of Discussion Lists

>  Having just reread the documentation that Brian has so nicely provided,
> I notice that:
>  (1) The list documentation needs an icon so one can return to the root
> page
>  (2) In newform.html it would seem helpful to have an extra fill-out box
> in which the new list owner can specify the IUCr committee, group,
> commission or body that is sponsoring the list.
>
> Best wishes,
>   Howard
>

> IUCr Policy on the Creation and Management of Discussion Lists
>
> Preamble
>   The IUCr provides a list-distribution service as a means of
> stimulating written communication of discussions amongst
> crystallographers on topics relevant to the IUCr and the field of
> crystallography. The discussion lists are complementary to the other
> information services (print and electronic) of the IUCr. The printed
> quaterly newsletter 'Crystallography News' and the electronic web
> services (http://www.iucr.org/iucr-top/) are provided by the IUCr...
> and
> the usenet newsgroups bionet.xtallography and
> sci.techniques.xtallography are available for the dissemination of
> information to a very wide and unlimited circle of subscribers.

I think usenet groups should not be mentioned in the same sentence since they do
not belong to the Union and because neither IUCR or EPC may have a policy on
their use. They are also other usent groups of interest for crystallographers,
thus better not to mention them.

> [...]
> interested in or working together on specific topics. They are ideal  for
> IUCr Commissions, sub-commissions, committees, working groups and other
> bodies.
>
> Definition of terms
>   List manager
>   List owner
>   List subscriber
>
> Disclaimer
>   IUCr is not responsible for indecent, untruthful  or libellous
> statements made by list subscribers. The IUCr is not responsible for any
> views expressed.
>
> Copyright
>   Material posted to an IUCr discussion list is copyright of the
> International Union of Crystallography.
>
> Access to lists and archives
>   The IUCr President, General Secretary and Treasurer, and Executive
> Secretary or any person designated by any one of them has a right of
> access to any discussion list or archive.
>
> Conflicts and complaints
>   Any conflict or complaint should be addressed in the first instance  to
> the list owner concerned. Should a conflict or grievance subsist, the
> problem must be referred to the IUCr's Committee on Electronic
> Publishing, Dissemination and Storage of Information. The decision of
> this committee is final.
>
> Implementation information
>   Full details of the current implementation of the IUCr Discussion
> Lists may be found at http://www.iucr.org/iucr-top/lists/ .
>

> Duties and responsibilities of:
>
>  (1) IUCr Committee on Electronic Publishing, Dissemination and  Storage
> of Information
>    - Overall responsibilty, reportable to the IUCr executive committee,
> for the functioning of the discussion lists
>    - Control of access of users to the discussion e-mails and the
> archive.
>    - Ensure that list owners clearly define the topic of a list and  that
> this subject is adhered to.
>    - The right to remove any message and exclude any subscriber without
> notice.
>    - The right to open or to terminate a distribution list without
> notice.
>
>  (2) List manager
>    - Technical management of the hardware and software used for the
> fonctionning of the discussion lists.
>    - The right to remove any message and exclude any subscriber without
> notice.
>
>  (3) List owner
>    - must ensure that the chosen subject for the discussion list is
> adhered to.
>    - The right to remove any message and exclude any subscriber  without
> notice.
>    - By requesting to become a list owner, a person accepts the policy
> as defined in this document and the procedures described in the
> implementation documentation (http://www.iucr.org/iucr-top/lists/) and
> is bound by them.
>    - must have a valid and current entry in the World Directory for

With the number of SPAMs now on the net, a list manager should be ready to
moderate the list in the case it is used to disseminate unwanted materials
(messages not relevant to the topics...). It is contained in the first sentence
but should be more precise.

>  (4) List subscribers
>    - Use of decent non-defamatory language
>    - The obligation not to distribute confidential information by way of
> a list.

- The obligation to post relevant materials only, i.e. in relation with the
topics of the list.

>    - By requesting to join a list, a person accepts the policy as
> defined in this document and the procedures described in the
> implementation documentation (http://www.iucr.org/iucr-top/lists/) and
> is bound by them.
>    - The author of an e-mail posting in an IUCr distribution list
> accepts responibility for the opinion expressed and the information
> contained in such a posting.
>    - Encouraged (Strongly encouraged??? Obliged????) to have a valid and
> current entry in the World Directory for Crystallographers

Yes strongly encouraged but how?

Happy new year to all!

Yves
-----

 Yves EPELBOIN
 E-mail: epelboin@lmcp.jussieu.fr - http://www.lmcp.jussieu.fr/~epelboin
      Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris VI
      Case  115 -- 4, place Jussieu --  F-75252 Paris Cedex 05
      phone: (00 33)  01 44 27 52 11   --   fax: (00 33) 01 44 27 37 85