Re: Paperwork for neXus (2nd)

Dear Yves,

> May I take this opportunity to let you know that I have received a =
> number of=20
> complaints about the slowness of JAC.
>
> Somebody in my lab told me it took one year for a short communication to =
> be=20
> published. It was accepted at the end of January 1997 and just published =
> in the=20
> last issue.
>
> I have myself a paper waiting since many months. I am afraid that people =
> will=20
> not continue to publish in JAC if this situation is not fixed.

  While delays in publication for any reason are clearly a matter of
considerable frustration and concern, it is not within the remit of the
EPC to deal with or receive individual or collective complaints. If the
scientists publishing in JAC are aggrieved for one reason or another,
they must correspond with the journal editor (Mike Glazer) or as a last
resort with the Editor-in-Chief (John Helliwell).

  I see the EPC's role as providing a technological thrust towards
electronic publication within the IUCr's activity. It is our job to
persuade editors to embrace this technology for their publications but
we can not force them to do so. Their role is to choose and monitor both
the policy and the production of their individual publications. If there
is a general problem touching upon electronic publication etc, our
managing editor should feel free to raise the matter within the EPC as
and when he considers it timely.

  H.

--
Howard Flack        http://www.unige.ch/crystal/ahdf/Howard.Flack.html
Laboratoire de Cristallographie               Phone:(+41 22) 702 62 49