Re: mirror site of WDC

Masami Kusunoki wrote:

> Professor Yves  Epelboin
> General Editor of World Directory
> of Crystallographers
>
> Dear Professor Y. Epelboin,
>
> I am the national editor of Japan for  the World Directory of
> Crystallographers (WDC).
> WDC service over  WWW is very popular and has a good reputation also in Japan
> thanks to your efforts.
> However, the network speed is not sufficient for comfortable queries.
> So we are hoping to  have a mirror site of the WDC service in Japan.
> I would like to ask for your permission to set up a mirror site to be
> installed probably
> at Professor Yuji Ohashi's laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan.
> I will also appreciate your suggesting the procedure for setting up a
> mirror site
> if it is allowed.
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Sincerely yours,
>
> Masami Kusunoki

>  Dr. Masami Kusunoki
>  Institute for Protein Research, Osaka University
>  3-2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
>  Tel  81-6-879-8634
>  Fax   81-6-879-8636
>  e-mail  kusunoki@protein.osaka-u.ac.jp
Dear Professor Kusunoki,

WDC is part of the WWW services of the IUCr.
Setting new mirrors is fully in the hands of Mr B. McMahon, officer for
Research and Development, at Chester office.

We are certainly willing to install a mirror in Japan  but a number of
conditions, both technical and politic, must be settled. I suggest that
you discuss this point directly with him. His e-mail address is
bm@iucr.org.

As for WDC you must be aware that its installation requires the help of
a good professional since a software must be installed on the piece of
equipment you will provide.It may mean modification of the software and
installation of new ones to make it run properly.  Previous experience
with South Africa has been rather difficult. In any case Mr McMahon is
the right person to speak with. He will tell you what is possible and
not, and what has to be done.

I am strongly in favor of the establishment of a japanese mirror for the
full Web services of the Union in Japan since I am sure it will provide
excellent information for the crystallographers in this area.

--
 Professor Yves EPELBOIN
 E-mail: Yves.Epelboin@lmcp.jussieu.fr -