Re: Crystallography Journals Online

> Crystallography Journals Online
  I think that the result of all your very hard work is very good
indeed.
  I like the clean layout of the entry page and of the individual
articles both in the html and pdf format.

> we are also proposing that we work towards
> naming the entire IUCr web services "Crystallography Online".
  I am in favour of such a name.

> There are some translation problems to be overcome
   I will not bore you with some of the 'typos' that I saw in the html.

>  However, we consider that the service will be sufficiently
> developed for display at Glasgow.

   Certainly.

> We will propose to the EC that the service should replace the
> proposed Healthgate service.
   You have my full backing.

The things I noted down on clicking through the site are listed below.
Please do not answer with arguments in favour or against at the moment
as I am still pondering my own thoughts on the matter. We can talk
further about it when we meet in Glasgow.

(a) The branding of the (online) journals by their respective sub-titles
is clearly desirable but some of the older revamped pages I bumped into
still referred to Acta Crystallographica A for example. This adds a
slight confusion unless you know it is one and the same journal. I was
always unhappy about the form chosen for the URLs printed on the cover
of the journals - my uneasiness is slightly increased. I also wondered
whether JAC and JSR online should be branded 'Applied Crystallography
Online' and 'Synchrotron Radiation Online' dropping out the cumbersome
'Journal of'.

(b) The (uncompleted) reader services seem to me the part which has not
yet rid itself of its traditional links to the printed journals. I would
only include services that directly concern the journal itself. The
'recruitment' and 'meetings' ( and book review/received,
crystallographers, etc) sections really belong in one of the other parts
of 'Crystallography Online'

(c) I regret that there is no (live) IUCr icon to be seen on many of the
pages.

(d) Somehow or other the IUCr Newsletter needs incorporating into the
'Journal' style and made reliably and rapidly available online within
Crystallography Online.

(e) What about the odd dog of Acta Cryst C? Is it to be only 'CIF'?

 See you all soon,
Howard

--
Howard Flack        http://www.unige.ch/crystal/ahdf/Howard.Flack.html
Laboratoire de Cristallographie               Phone: 41 (22) 702 62 49