Re: Crystallography Journals Online

I have very few things to add to the other comments.

One suggestion for the HTML pages : the figures should be interlaced
gifs which makes the time to recover them more tolerable.

The main questions are :
- control of access or how will the IUCr recovers its money
- problem of mirrors. There will be some difficulties to access the
journals in different parts of the world. Quality of service is
important. For instance it is 9 a.m. central european time and the link
is very, very slow. It was acceptable in the afternoon yesterday.
- which aditional services should be included in these pages.

In any case this should be presented at Glasgow. You did an excellent
job.

Yves

Pete Strickland a =E9crit :
> =

> Dear All
> =

> Crystallography Journals Online
> -------------------------------
> =

> Work on the pilot version of our online journals service
> has been progressing in Chester and we now have a number
> of journal issues available at the address:
> =

> http://journals.iucr.org/
> =

> You will see that we have named the service "Crystallography
> Journals Online" and we are also proposing that we work towards
> naming the entire IUCr web services "Crystallography Online".
> =

> There are some translation problems to be overcome and some services
> (e.g. email alerting/details of forthcoming papers) that are not yet
> in place. However, we consider that the service will be sufficiently
> developed for display at Glasgow.
> =

> We will propose to the EC that the service should replace the
> proposed Healthgate service. We are currently looking at the
> financial considerations of hosting the service ourselves (using
> an internet service provider with a 10 Mb connection) or with a
> third party. We are in discussion with Turpin distribution
> (a subsidiary of the Royal Society of Chemistry), Institute of Physics
> and the American Institute of Physics.
> =

> I would be grateful for your comments on the current service and
> any suggestions for improvements and extra services.
> =

> Best wishes
> Peter

-- =

   Professor Yves Epelboin, LMCP, Universit=E9 P.M. Curie, =

   case 115, 75252 Paris Cedex 05, France
   phone : +33 (0)1 4427 5211  fax : +33 (0)1 4427 3785
   URL http://www.lmcp.jussieu.fr/~epelboin/