Re: Archive Policy of the IUCr

> (ii) Does the policy document need to be made clearer as to what is
> definitely subject to long-term preservation and what is not, but might
> be preserved if it does not cost too much?
>      For example for Acta E, it seems to me that the IUCr must make a
> definite committment to the long-term preservation of the CIFs. Need any
> committment be made to the 'printed' form of the document as represented
> by the derived pdf file?  The same problem applies to the relation
> between the SGML file and related HTML/pdf files in the other journals.
> Is it already clear that the HTML/pdf files are no more than preprepared
> dissemination information packages (in OAIS speak) and are not subject
> to preservation?

The policy document must not go into details. Thus I do not think this
is necessary. What is of interest is to make very clear that the sources
(SGML for the moment) of information will be preserved. As for the CIF
files, I thought that this was the work of Cambridge? How do we
articulate CIF files in the hand of the Union with others such as
Cambridge?
--
   Prof. Yves Epelboin, LMCP, Université P.M. Curie,
   case 115, 75252 Paris Cedex 05, France