[Fwd: EU Copyright Directive - latest]

--Boundary_(ID_s9C6yvPyLO1QrnAB7FwbLA)

--
Howard Flack        http://www.unige.ch/crystal/ahdf/Howard.Flack.html
Laboratoire de Cristallographie               Phone: 41 (22) 702 62 49
24 quai Ernest-Ansermet             mailto:Howard.Flack@cryst.unige.ch
CH-1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland                   Fax: 41 (22) 702 61 08

--Boundary_(ID_s9C6yvPyLO1QrnAB7FwbLA)

Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:33:25 -0500
From: Tim Ingoldsby <TINGOLDSBY@AIP.ORG>
Subject: Re: EU Copyright Directive - latest
Sender: ICSTI-L list <ICSTI-L@DTIC.MIL>
Approved-by: crandall@DTIC.MIL
To: ICSTI-L@DTIC.MIL
Comments: cc: Marc Brodsky <brodsky@AIP.ORG>

David:

Perhaps ICSTI has made no public position, but Barry Mahon's posting of 1 February (which is copied below) left an impression - at least with me, but I suspect with others on ICSTI-L as well - that ICSTI felt that "the library position" should be endorsed.  (There is no suggestion in his posting that "the library community" might be wrong, and a suggestion that all could be lost if some unstated action occurs.)  The Executive Secretary (or Executive Director) of an organization like ICSTI needs to be very careful about how messages are posted, and his message of the past two days sounded like a "call to arms" to support the objections to the direction the legislation was taking.  As AIP's representative to ICSTI, I find that unacceptable.  Tonight, I attended a reception at the AAP/Professional and Scholarly Publications meeting, where I discussed his posting with several other representatives of companies that are ICSTI members, and there was general agreement that his commen!
ts were inappropriate and did not represent their companies' views.  The Executive Director of AIP shares my view on this issue.

I would urge you to speak with Barry and caution him regarding how postings that may appear to be one-sided may be interpreted.

Sincerely,

Tim

Tim Ingoldsby
Director of Business Development
American Institute of Physics
Suite 1NO1, 2 Huntington Quadrangle
Melville, NY 11747-4501
Phone:  +1 516 576 2266
Fax:  +1 516 576 2327

>>> David.Russon@BL.UK 02/05/01 09:47AM >>>
Because members have different views on the EU Directive, ICSTI has not
taken any position on it and has made no representation to anyone.  David
Russon