[Fwd: Preserving the Digital Records of Science]

Il s'agit d'un message multivolet au format MIME.

--Boundary_(ID_t4A6NHgCltV5abkpkx0yig)

--
VISITING GENEVA? See http://www.unige.ch/crystal/ahdf/geneva02.html

Howard Flack        http://www.unige.ch/crystal/ahdf/Howard.Flack.html

--Boundary_(ID_t4A6NHgCltV5abkpkx0yig)

Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 09:57:21 -0500
From: Ana Maria Cetto <ana@FISICA.UNAM.MX>
Subject: Re: Preserving the Digital Records of Science
Sender: ICSTI-L list <ICSTI-L@DTIC.MIL>
To: ICSTI-L@DTIC.MIL

--Boundary_(ID_zeFTg8Z6KGS64IISRBLwBA)

Dear David,

you surely have mentioned the key players ("including scientists and =
their
>representative bodies, funding agencies, publishers, data centres an=
>libraries")  to whom the ICSTI statement should be addressed.=20
Maybe one should include the national archives (which do not always c=
oincide
with the national libraries) and national institutes of scientific an=
technical information (or their equivalent), where they exist.  Also,=
 in our
countries the national research councils have (or sjhould have) a rol=
e to play
in this.

Best regards,
Ana Maria.

At , you wrote:
>Following the ICSTI seminar on digital preservation held in Paris in=
 Feb.
>the Executive Board decided that ICSTI should prepare a position sta=
tement
>to influence further the players involved .Although the seminar reve=
aled
positive action by a number of
>stakeholders it was recognised that more urgent,concerted actions we=
re
>required if the issues were to be fully addressed in an economic and
>effective way.
>I agreed to draft a statement for presentation to the Executive Boar=
d in
>Stockholm.
>In order to reflect the views of the membership I should welcome any
>contributions you may like to make,particularly on the on the questi=
on of
>who should be the key audience(s) for the ICSTI statement.
>At the seminar Neil Beagrie gave some estimates for the amount of da=
ta that
>specific disciplines are likely to generate in the near future.I hav=
e had
>difficulty in tracing any authorative projections of future scientif=
ic data
>output.If any members,particularly from CODATA and the Scientific Un=
ions can
>help with this then I shall be glad to hear from them.
>I can be reached by reply to this message or at david.russon@papersh=
ed.com
>Regards,David Russon

>Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.co=
>=20
Ana Mar=EDa CETTO
Instituto de F=EDsica, UNAM. Apartado postal 20-364. 01000 M=E9xico D=
F, Mexico
Tel. (52-55) 5622 5152, 5622 5020;  fax (52-55) 5622 5015;
ana@fisica.unam.mx =20

--Boundary_(ID_zeFTg8Z6KGS64IISRBLwBA)

scientists and their</div>
centres and</div>
addressed. </div>
ays
coincide with the national libraries) and national institutes of
scientific and technical information (or their equivalent), where the=
exist.&nbsp; Also, in our countries the national research councils ha=
ve
(or sjhould have) a role to play in this.</div>
Paris in Feb.</div>
tion
statement</div>
nar
revealed positive action by a number of</div>
actions were</div>
omic
and</div>
ive
Board in</div>
come
any</div>
question of</div>
statement.</div>
nt
of data that</div>
re.I
have had</div>
scientific data</div>
Scientific Unions can</div>
david.russon@papershed.com</div>
er.msn.com</a></div>
&gt;=20

Instituto de F=EDsica, UNAM. Apartado postal 20-364. 01000 M=E9xico D=
F,
Mexico<br>
Tel. (52-55) 5622 5152, 5622 5020;&nbsp; fax (52-55) 5622 5015;&nbsp;
ana@fisica.unam.mx</font> </html>