[Fwd: Interview with Mark McCabe by Richard Poynder]

Il s'agit d'un message multivolet au format MIME.

--Boundary_(ID_lHoc+NcZszmLPvc+aw9zsQ)

Did any one read the article that Barry cites below. I found it
fascinating.

e.g.
>  Bear in mind also  that in this market—unlike most markets—the nonprofit sector
>  does a better job than commercial publishers in
>  almost all dimensions of performance.

> They are better in terms of quality, they are better in terms of the number of
> papers published, and, since their
>  prices are lower and [therefore] attract many more readers, they are more
> efficient. The only area where   commercial publishers do better is in introducing
> many more titles. Whether that is good or bad is open to question.

  I happen to think that it is counter-productive.

H.

--

Howard Flack        http://www.unige.ch/crystal/ahdf/Howard.Flack.html

--Boundary_(ID_lHoc+NcZszmLPvc+aw9zsQ)

Mark McCabe worked as an economist in the U.S. Department of Justice's (DOJ)
Antitrust Division for 7 years. Now an assistant  professor at the Georgia Institute
of Technology, he specializes in mergers and anticompetitive practices. McCabe
believes the STM publishing market is broken.

He explains in this interview why he thinks the STM market is 'different' from the
point of view of anti-trust evaluation.

http://www.infotoday.com/it/dec02/poynder.htm

Just to show we cover all aspects of our subject, here is a reference to a report on
the STM publishing sector by Morgan Stanley, pushing it as one where the growth
is phenomenal and well worth investing in.  Chris Beckett comments....

http://www.biblio-tech.com/uksg/SI_PD.cfm?PID=10&ArticleID=469

--Boundary_(ID_lHoc+NcZszmLPvc+aw9zsQ)--