Blackwell Publishing: Journal Newsletter - Issue 4

  • To: epc@iucr.org
  • Subject: Blackwell Publishing: Journal Newsletter - Issue 4
  • From: Pete Strickland <ps@iucr.org>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:13:09 +0100
Blackwell Publishing Journal News
April 2004 - Number 4

In this issue there are three items on Open Access which reflects the
ongoing interest in the subject.  The Washington D.C. Principles
should be of particular interest to society officers.  There is also
a summary of some of the progress we are making in improving
availability of journals in the Developing World.  Suggestions from
readers are always welcome; this is still a relatively new service
and we appreciate any feedback.

Providing Free Access to Research in the Developing World

The disparity in access to high quality scientific, medical and social
science research between the developed and developing world is shown
to be closely tied to the gap in wealth and health between peoples.
The 'digital divide', as it is known, certainly has not helped to
close the gap.  Many of the organizations for which we publish are
acutely aware of this divide and the potential of peer-reviewed
research for engendering change.  For this reason, Blackwell
Publishing has been an active participant in a number of initiatives
to make online journals available for free or at a greatly reduced
price to countries that are traditionally not able to afford many
print subscriptions.

With the latest information and scientific evidence accessible to
low-income countries, policy-makers, professors, scientists, and
doctors will be better able to find solutions to issues of poverty,
health, education and the environment.  In addition, increased access
to current research should lead to greater participation by
scientists from the developing world in the global debate on any
number of topics.  By keeping up with current findings and research
techniques, and through updated teaching curricula, there are
increased opportunities for papers originating in the developing
world to reach a global audience.

For many years, Blackwell has offered deep discounts to developing
world libraries for subscriptions to print journals.  However,
problems with funding and delivery meant that very few were able to
take advantage of this.  Online journals, and their low distribution
costs, have changed all this.  We can now open access to e-journals
in any site anywhere through Blackwell Synergy.  There are, of
course, still challenges to surmount, though the nature of these has
changed from postal problems to issues of hardware, bandwidth and
internet infrastructure.  There are many initiatives underway
throughout the world to tackle these access issues, and we are glad
to be able to contribute by making the research itself available.

For more information on each of the Developing World initiatives,
including the International Network for the Availability of
Scientific Publications (Bob Campbell, Blackwell Publishing's
President, is also the Chairman of INASP), and those associated with
the WHO and FAO, visit:
http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/librarians/developing_countries.asp

Open Access/Pay to Publish Debate Rages On

The Open Access debate continues on numerous fronts.  It dominates the
library e-mail discussions and has been the subject of many
conferences.  Within a circle of Open Access evangelists, analysts
and consultants, and amongst the library and publishing cognoscenti,
the subject is high on the agenda.  In contrast with this, it does
not yet seem to have caught the attention of the majority of journal
authors, perhaps because it is less attractive to them.

In the UK, the issues are being explored by the House of Commons
Science and Technology Select Committee in an inquiry on scientific
publications.  Bob Campbell, President of Blackwell Publishing, sat
on a panel of publishers to give evidence to the Select Committee on
1st March 2004.  This was an opportunity to draw attention to the
tremendous increase in access that has been provided by online
publishing and the use of consortia licenses.  The Members of
Parliament were also keen to hear about Blackwell's work with the
World Health Organisation and the Food and Agriculture Organisation
to improve access in the developing world through the HINARI and
AGORA programmes.

For Blackwell's submission visit
http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/docs/House_commons.doc For a
transcript of the proceedings visit
http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/uc399-i/uc39902.htm

The committee will report its recommendations to the government at the
end of the summer. The two author-pays publishers have been lobbying
hard in hopes that the committee will suggest that grants include
funding (say 1% of the grant) to pay for publication.

The BBC picked up the item and interviewed Bob Campbell and Harold
Varmus from the Public Library of Science on the Today programme a
week later.  The debate again focused on the breadth of access
provided by the current publishing system.  Bob also made the point,
contested by Harold Varmus, that a system paid for by readers will
tend to favour the effective filtering of content and maintain high
quality, whereas a system funded by authors will tend to favour the
authors but exclude those that do not have the funding to pay the
publication charges.

For a transcript of the Today programme visit
http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/docs/RadioInterview10Mar04.doc

Washington D.C. Principles for Free Access to Science

On 16th March 2004 a group of 49 societies and not-for-profit
publishers (largely North American) issued a statement affirming
their commitment to broad access to the scientific and medical
literature.  The free access signatories represented 600,000 members
and 380 journals that offer 800,000 articles online, of which 447,000
are free.

The essential points were:
1.	commitment to innovation and wide dissemination
2.	mission to maintain independence, vigour, trust and visibility that
have established journals as reliable filters of research information
3.	reinvest revenues in support of science (meetings, education,
publishing etc)
4.	free access:
a.	selected important articles are free online from publication
b.	full text is free within months of publication
c.	content is free in many low-income nations
d.	articles are free online through reference linking
e.	content is available for search engines
5.	continue to work to develop long-term preservation solutions for
online journals
6.	support principle that publication fees should not be borne solely
by research organizations; ability to publish should be equally
available to all scientists
7.	a free society should allow the co-existence of many publishing
models

At the end of March, Martin Frank (Executive Director of the American
Physiological Society) invited other organizations to join the
coalition in support of the principles.  He believes that the
principles provide the "middle ground" in the increasingly heated
debate between those who advocate immediate unfettered online access
and advocates of the current journal publishing system.  He explained
that the document was drafted in response to recent claims that these
publishers' practices hinder the public's ability to access published
scientific research.

Open Access Funding Award for UK Crystallographers

The International Union of Crystallography, a society for whom
Blackwell publishes, is pursuing an experiment with open access
publishing.  The IUCr has been awarded funding from the Joint
Information Systems Committee (JISC) to support open-access delivery
of its journals, Acta Crystallographica Sections A-E, Journal of
Applied Crystallography and Journal of Synchrotron Radiation, via its
Crystallography Journals Online service.

The award will mean the waiving of open-access publication charges for
UK higher education staff who publish in these journals for a
one-year period from 1 March 2004.  This will make UK research more
visible worldwide, assisted by the international standing of IUCr
journals.  From the beginning of 2004, authors publishing papers in
IUCr journals have been given the opportunity to make their papers
open access on Crystallography Journals Online, i.e. free of charge
to all readers.  Open-access papers will appear alongside standard
subscriber-only papers for the foreseeable future.

JISC is a committee of all UK further and higher education funding
bodies, and is responsible for supporting the innovative use of
information and communication technology to support learning,
teaching and research.  In December 2003, publishers were invited to
tender for open-access funding of £150,000, the first round in a
three-year programme designed to encourage as much open-access
delivery of research findings as possible.  The IUCr is one of four
publishers to have made successful bids for this funding, the other
three beneficiaries being the Public Library of Science (PLoS, for
PLoS Biology), Institute of Physics Publishing (New Journal of
Physics) and Lancaster University (Journal of Experimental Botany).

For more information about the IUCr's open-access policy visit
http://journals.iucr.org/services/openaccess.html

All about Online - COUNTER Usage Statistics

As you know, the use of online journals and other information
resources is growing exponentially. It is widely agreed by publishers
and librarians that the use of these resources should be measured in
a consistent way. Librarians want to understand better how the
information they buy from a variety of sources is being used, and
publishers want to know how the information products they disseminate
are being accessed.

The COUNTER project (Counting Online Usage of Networked Electronic
Resources) brought publishers, librarians and intermediaries together
to create an agreed international Code of Practice governing the
recording and exchange of online usage data. COUNTER was formally
incorporated in England as a not-for-profit company, Counter Online
Metrics in 2003. The International Advisory Board of COUNTER consists
of leading experts from the publishing, library and intermediary
world. It is supported by the main publishing organisations as well
as ARL, Association of Research Libraries; JISC, Joint Information
Systems Committee; NCLIS, National Commission on Libraries and
Information Science; NISO, National Information Standards
Organization; and UKSG, United Kingdom Serials Group.

COUNTER is a good example of a responsible publishing sector working
closely with the library community to create common standards. As a
result of COUNTER, librarians can get accurate and comparable usage
data from any of the participating publishers, including Blackwell,
who incidentally were the first publishers to become
COUNTER-compliant back in April 2003, Elsevier, Nature and Wiley.

As a word of warning, BioMedCentral has so far chosen not to join
COUNTER so there is no independent verification of any claims that
they might make about usage of their content.

For more information, visit http://www.projectcounter.org/

Library Advisory Board Meet Again

In order to help inform our publishing and sales strategies, we call
upon the advice and feedback from our international Library Advisory
Board made up of 25 librarians and consortia officers from academic
and corporate institutions.  We have held two LAB meetings in the
first part of this year; one in San Diego alongside the American
Library Association meeting in January, and one in Melbourne
alongside the Victorian Association of Library Automation meeting in
February.  Both meetings were well attended, full of lively and
useful discussion, and we received very good feedback from attendees:

"I would like to thank you, your staff and Blackwell for affording us
the opportunity to express our views. It is heartening to see
publishers undertaking this type of focus group activity."
Jocelyn Priddey, Senior Manager, Collection Development, University of
Queensland

"Opportunity to contribute much appreciated and any critical comment
was simply based on a genuine desire to help to make a good service
even better."
Neil Renison, Librarian (Acquisitions Services), Information
Resources, James Cook University

The meetings involved discussions of:
*         preferred future pricing models for library consortia
including for online only journals and back volumes;
*         policies for handling journals joining and leaving publisher
collections;
*         implications of purchasing journals based on usage;
*         potential demand for e-books;
*         perceptions of Blackwell's service to the library community.

The overriding message we picked up from the librarians was that they
want more flexibility in the way that they buy both print and online
journals with a variety of options available to suit the budgetary,
research and format needs of their institutions.

What Authors Want

Last year Blackwell Publishing commissioned Key Perspectives to carry
out a study of the attitudes and opinions of journal contributing
authors on various publishing issues.  1800 email invitations to
respond were sent to Blackwell journal authors.  413 (23%) responded.

The results overall were encouraging.  For example, 88% of journal
authors considered the Blackwell journal they published in to be
"excellent" or "good", and over 80% considered Blackwell to have good
expertise in their field and to operate to high professional
standards.

The question on factors of importance when authors are choosing where
to publish gave "reputation of the journal" as top, "quality of
content" second, and "quality of peer review" equal third with "speed
of publication".  "Impact factor" surprisingly only came seventh
although with some variation between subjects:  higher in dermatology
and economics, lower in ecology and nursing.  "Price", "value for
money" "copyright and contract issues" came last.

Examination of the comments revealed that by "speed of publication"
most respondents meant speed of peer review.  The quality of the peer
review procedure also featured highly.

Our conclusion was that outside the reputation of the journal (which
cannot be improved overnight) the area where we need to work most to
attract authors is not surprisingly "author care": giving authors a
decision quickly and keeping them informed of progress.  As
publishers we are dependent on the performance of the editorial
office for this and are developing a range of services to support
this effort.

Databases and Cannibalization

Blackwell Publishing licenses journal content to third party
databases, like EBSCO Publishing, with the understanding that this
helps  to reach more unique customers and readers beyond the
journals' core subscription base.  EBSCO Publishing is strong in the
U.S. schools and college market and their association with the SOROS
Foundation has given them good reach into Eastern Europe and the
Developing World.  They also serve the academic library market,
however, and in order to avoid cannibalization of core subscriptions,
we have differentiated the EBSCO Publishing offering by putting a
12-month embargo on all articles.

Rick Anderson is Director of Resource Acquisition at the University of
Nevada, Reno, Libraries, and a member of Blackwell Publishing's
Library Advisory Board.  Rick recently posted the following e-mail to
the library community, explaining his view of aggregated databases
(e.g. EBSCO Publishing).  This supports our position that the
judicious licensing of journal content should not lead to the
substitution of core subscriptions.

"Even when unreliable access costs money, most libraries are still
willing to buy it, as long as the cost is low enough; that's the
premise on which many aggregated databases (which provide access to
thousands of journals and magazines at a very low per-title cost) are
founded.  While I expect my access to the database itself to be
reliable, I recognize that the low per-title charge means a
trade-off: ongoing access to any particular title is not guaranteed.
But that's fine with my library because we don't think of the
aggregator as a robust source for any particular title; we use it as
a big bag of articles that primarily supports low-intensity
undergraduate research.  When we want reliable access to particular
titles, we pay more (usually directly to the publishers) and get some
level of guaranteed access in return."
- Posted to Liblicense, 20th February 2004

Blackwell Publishing Acquires BMJ Books

On 8th April 2004, Blackwell Publishing finalized the purchase of BMJ
Books, the book-publishing arm of the British Medical Journal
Publishing Group.  Each year, Blackwell publishes over 100 books and
350 journals in medicine, biomedicine and allied health.  With the
acquisition of BMJ Books, titles in specialties such as pediatrics,
accident and emergency medicine, anesthesia and intensive care,
cardiology, and evidence-based medicine will be added to the
company's list.

"Blackwell has a history of providing the medical community with a
comprehensive collection of high-quality medical books.  The addition
of BMJ titles only strengthens the scope of Blackwell's service to
clinicians world-wide, and demonstrates our commitment to growth in
medical publishing," said René Olivieri, CEO of Blackwell Publishing.
"As this transfer moves forward, Blackwell will further the high
service standards set by BMJ, reinforcing the strength of publishing
excellence for which Blackwell is known."

Richard Smith, editor of the British Medical Journal and Chief
Executive of BMJ Publishing Group Ltd said, "This decision has not
been easy to make, but it is no longer feasible for us to continue an
extensive book publishing business.  We have published great books of
which we are proud, but our cost structure has meant that we could
not produce the return on the business that we hoped."

The acquisition of BMJ Books brings 328 additional titles to the
Blackwell list.  This includes the ABC Series (reference books for
researchers, clinicians, and health professionals) and a developing
list of evidence-based textbooks, all of which complement Blackwell's
existing Lecture Notes, At a Glance, and Blueprints series of books.

"The BMJ Books list is very impressive and we are delighted to work
with BMJ Publishing Group to continue production of these quality
titles," said Andrew Robinson, Director of Medical Publishing for
Blackwell.  "As the leading society publisher, Blackwell is confident
that our expertise will help build the BMJ brand in book publishing."
Titles from BMJ will carry the imprints of both BMJ Books and
Blackwell Publishing as part of the sales agreement.

Preview of forthcoming topics for Journal News:

*	Editorial best practice - tips for running an editorial office
*	Editorial best practice - refereeing/peer-review
*	Trends in consortia buying
*	An overview of the China serials market
*	CrossRef Search details
*	The impact of Google

Do let us know if you have any suggestions for topics to include in
future issues, or any comments on this issue of Journal News.

--

Best wishes

Peter Strickland
Managing Editor