Re: FYI from DOI news

I'm writing up a full report on the CODATA meeting which I shall circulate
when it's ready. In the mean time, this extract from another message I wrote
yesterday will indicate movement in the DOI/scientific data area.

> I discovered at the CODATA meeting a couple of weeks back that the
> German National Library of Science and Technology (TIB) is working
> with the World Data Centre for Climate (WDCC) at Hamburg to establish
> a DOI registration agency for climate data, with the intention of
> broadening their metadata model to other fields of science during
> 2005. The project anticipates TIB Hannover becoming the central
> registration agency of DOIs for scientific primary data during 2006.
>
> This coincides with CrossRef, the publishing DOI registration agency,
> exhibiting an interest in assigning DOIs to data sets held at the Protein
> Data Bank (I discovered this just last week). In my opinion, DOIs,
> which are persistent identifiers, would if associated with primary
> data sets provide much of the linking and interoperability between
> scientific data applications that CrossRef provides for article
> linking. I therefore see these moves as very encouraging.

CrossRef is in fact wooing PDB fairly energetically, but the sticking
point is over the fee structure. John Westbrook said that he thought
CrossRef would be flexible in their dealings with non-profit organisations,
though Peter (Strickland) is dubious. I've downloaded the TIB metadata set
and intend to analyse it against the CrossRef one. Ideally the better
metadata set would indicate the preferred registration agency for scientific
data, but CrossRef has a head start as a well-established operation.
I don't know yet how feasible the TIB timetable is, but the work we're
starting on chemistry metadata with the University of Southampton might feed
into this process next year.

Brian