ICSTI: Search Engines Meeting Boston April 11-12 2005

  • To: epc@iucr.org
  • Subject: ICSTI: Search Engines Meeting Boston April 11-12 2005
  • From: Pete Strickland <ps@iucr.org>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:14:00 +0000

Subject: Search Engines Meeting Boston April 11-12 2005
Date: Friday 18 February 2005 11:24 pm
From: Barry Mahon <barry.mahon@IOL.IE>
To: ICSTI-L@DTIC.MIL

If anybody is going to this I'm sure our colleagues involved in the STI
Centres discussions will be interested in the following paper:-

Carol Tenopir
University of Tennessee, School of Information Sciences, USA
What We Know About User Behavior (And What We Are Not So Sure of)

 From hundreds of recent research studies conducted over the last ten years,
we now know quite a bit about how people interact with online information
systems. We know, for example, that information seeking and use by subject
experts varies by subject discipline and work place, that most users prefer
convenience and speed, and that users’ mental models of information systems
are being shaped by major internet search engines. Some unanswered questions
remain, however, and much of system design is still based on majority
behaviors rather than purpose and value of use for individuals.

More details of the meeting at:
http://www.infonortics.com/searchengines/sh05/05pro.html

Best wishes

Peter Strickland