Re: EPC-L: IUCr journal articles where copyright is not transferred??

Dear Laclan

I am out of the office today, but will reply in detail on these points on
Thursday. There is a licence available for transfer of rights in such cases.

Best wishes
Peter

On Tuesday 20 November 2007 23:57, Lachlan Cranswick wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This might be an inappropriate forum(?) but the following also includes
> electronic reproducion, and future styles of publishing, whatever they might
> be.
>
> Currently the IUCr allows Crown-copyright to be maintained for a journal
> article submitted by a government employee (have used it myself as a
> Canadian government employee).  But there seems to be no signed transfer
> of rights to the IUCr as occurs with the  standard IUCr copyright signover.
>
> So the IUCr is guaranteed all the required reproduction rights for these
> articles (including electronic reproduction in current and "future forms")
> does there need to be a similar sign-over document for government employees
> to sign over these reproduction rights, while technicially the author's
> employer (the government) still has the copyright)?
>
> ----------
>
> Should (can?) the IUCr also be requesting/specifying exclusive reproduction
> rights for the articles? Even though the copyright is not being transferred.
>
> ---------
>
> Currently, there is also no copyright statement reproduced on these
> types of articles in the IUCr journals.  Does there need to be a copyright
> statement to the effect (or some such legally kosher text):
>
>   "Copyright 'required text here', with reproduction rights assigned to
>    the IUCr." ???
>
> Lachlan
>

> -----------------------
> Lachlan M. D. Cranswick
> Contact outside working hours /
>   Coordonnees en dehors des heures de travail:
> NEW E-mail / courriel:  lc *at* bluehaze.com.au
> Home Tel: (613) 584-4226 ; Cell/mobile: (613) 401-6254
> WWW: http://lachlan.bluehaze.com.au/
>         P.O. Box 2057, Deep River, Ontario, Canada, K0J 1P0
>
> (please use clear titles in any Email - otherwise messages might
> accidentally get put in the SPAM list due to large amount of junk
> Email being received. If you don't get an expected reply to any
> messages, please try again.)
>
> (Essayez d'utiliser des titres explicites - sans quoi vos messages
> pourraient aboutir dans un dossier de rebuts, du fait de la quantite
> tres importante de pourriels recue. Si vous n'obtenez pas la reponse
> attendue, merci de bien vouloir renvoyer un message.)

Best wishes
Peter Strickland

Peter Strickland
Managing Editor