[pdDMG] CIFs for powder diffraction/Software testing

  • Subject: [pdDMG] CIFs for powder diffraction/Software testing
  • From: "Brian H. Toby" <brian.toby@nist.gov>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:01:37 -0500
  • Cc: Nicola Ashcroft <na@iucr.org>
Friends,

The IUCr is now recommending that strongly urging authors of powder
diffraction-based submissions to the Acta Cryst. & J. Appl. Cryst.
Journals submit observed and computed diffraction patterns in CIF (see
http://journals.iucr.org/services/cif/powder.html). I suspect this may
be of interest to the Rietveld and pdDMG mailing lists, where I am
posting this message and further leads me into the main subject of this
e-mail:

At present, to my knowledge, there is exactly one program that can be
used to read & plot powder diffraction data from these CIFs: pdCIFplot
(see open access paper at *http://www.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?aj0008*).
My hope is that folks who review Rietveld papers will use pdCIFplot as
part of that process when the data are available in CIF.

The pdCIFplot & CIFEDIT programs are packaged together as NCNR CIFTOOLS.
The latest release of this software (which now contains system-specific
releases for Windows, Mac, Linux and SGI) is indended to go into the
software collection for Volume G of the International Tables. From a
selfish perspective, that I would rather not have my software bugs
preseved for posterity, I would love to see this software be tested very
soon.

Installation instructions:
http://www.ncnr.nist.gov/xtal/software/cif/ciftools.html

An overview of the programs: http://www.ncnr.nist.gov/xtal/software/cif/

The distributions are:
ftp://ftp.ncnr.nist.gov/pub/cryst/cif/ciftools.exe (Windows)
ftp://ftp.ncnr.nist.gov/pub/cryst/cif/ciftools.dmg (Mac)
ftp://ftp.ncnr.nist.gov/pub/cryst/cif/ciftools_Linux.tar.gz (Intel-Linux)
ftp://ftp.ncnr.nist.gov/pub/cryst/cif/ciftools_SGI.tar.gz (MIPS-IRIX)
(Also on CCP14).

Brian H. Toby, Ph.D.                    Leader, Crystallography Team
Brian.Toby@NIST.gov      NIST Center for Neutron Research, Stop 8563
voice: 301-975-4297     National Institute of Standards & Technology
FAX: 301-921-9847                        Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8563
                http://www.ncnr.nist.gov/xtal