List Moderator

From: "Katz, J" <katzjl@umkc.edu>
Date: November 20, 2003 9:18:09 AM EST
To: "Discussion list for the Small-Angle Scattering community"
<sa_scat@iucr.org>, "Claudio Ferrero" <ferrero@esrf.fr>
Cc: <sa_scat-bounces@iucr.org>, "Spencer, Paulette" <SpencerP@umkc.edu>
Subject: RE: helical ribbon

Dear all,

	My M.S. in Physics (1951) at the then Polytechnic Institute of
Brooklyn (now Polytechnic University) was on the, "Diffraction of X-rays
by Helical Chains" under the supervision of Professor P. P. Ewald,
Chairman of the Physics Department at that time; he was also on my Ph.D.
(Physics) Committee at Poly; copies of my M.S. probably are available
from Polytechnic University. It was never published, even though
Professor Ewald was the Editor-in-Chief of Acta Crystallographica, as
the English Editor had just accepted the Paper on Helical Diffraction by
Crick, Cochran and Vand (the order may be wrong). My solution also
involves Bessel Functions as did theirs as well as does the one
described in the below E-mail; that's why Crick knew how to interpret
Rosalind Franklin's DNA x-ray pictures. Jurg Waser, a colleague of Linus
Pauling at Cal Tech, also worked on the problem and also was scooped by
the Crick et al. Paper.

	I have since gone on to other research areas, but am still
interested in corresponding with researchers interested in Helical
Diffraction.

	Regards,

Larry Katz

J. Lawrence Katz, Ph.D.