[SA_scat] Second instrument responsible position at the GKSSoutstation at FRM II (SANS-1 instrument)

  • To: <sa_scat@iucr.org>
  • Subject: [SA_scat] Second instrument responsible position at the GKSSoutstation at FRM II (SANS-1 instrument)
  • From: "King, SM (Stephen)" <stephen.king@stfc.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:31:22 -0000
The GKSS Research Centre is running a centre for materials research based on the complementary use of synchrotron radiation and neutron radiation operating the Geesthacht Neutron Facility GeNF (http://genf.gkss.de) in Geesthacht, an outstation at DESY in Hamburg and an expanding outstation at the Forschungsneutronenquelle Heinz Maier-Leibnitz (FRM II) in Garching (close to Munich), the most powerful German neutron source. As a collaborating research group there, we are currently co-responsible for building a new small-angle scattering instrument, SANS-1, in close collaboration with the Technical University Munich. In this framework we are looking for a

Scientist (Postdoc, second instrument responsible) - Garching
Code-No. 2009/WP 1

who will strengthen and further develop our activities in materials science using neutrons. You will participate in the construction, commissioning and technical as well as scientific development of the new state-of-the-art SANS-1 instrument, which will be one of the leading SANS instruments in the world due to its link to the reactor FRM II with its high flux, to its design and its various novel components. Full user operation is expected in 2010. You will be responsible for the design and maintenance of novel sample environment for in situ studies such as fatigue loading, furnaces, welding, cryostat etc.

Together with external collaborations from universities, industry groups and strong internal cooperation with the home institute in Geesthacht you are expected to develop an innovative in-house research program for engineering materials science (e. g. in the field of new alloys) using SANS, which should exploit the unique features of the beamline and its various sample environments. A background in SANS applications in soft matter and biological sciences would also be desirable.

Good skills in instrumentation, especially in software development and instrument control (particularly using LabView) and experience in small-angle scattering instrumentation at neutron sources are a benefit. In addition you are expected to provide support to external users within your working field at SANS-1. International collaborations as well as cooperation with staff members and other scientists at GKSS are highly encouraged.

A Ph.D. or equivalent in materials science and engineering, physics, chemistry or a related field is mandatory. Beside good communication skills also in publishing or presenting results at international conferences, the position requires experience in the respective scattering and/or instrumentation techniques using synchrotron radiation and flexible team work. We expect good English language skills; German language skills are an asset.

The position will initially be for three years with the option of an extension.

We offer an appropriate salary, related to TV-AVH, as well as the usual public sector social benefits. As equal opportunity/affirmative action employer we seek to increase the proportion of female faculty members. Qualified women are therefore especially encouraged to apply. Handicapped persons with equal qualifications will be preferred.

For inquiries please contact Prof. Dr. Martin Müller (martin.mueller@gkss.de <mailto:martin.mueller@gkss.de> ).

Please send your application with CV and references using code-no. 2009/WP 1 to our Personnel-Division.

Closing date for applications: April, 30th 2009

--

Scanned by iCritical.