[SA_scat] Mag. Dr. Heimo Schnablegger

  • To: Discussion list for the Small-Angle Scattering community <sa_scat@iucr.org>
  • Subject: [SA_scat] Mag. Dr. Heimo Schnablegger
  • From: Andrew Allen <andrew.allen@nist.gov>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 10:14:04 -0400
Dear Small-Angle Scatterers,

I have been requested by Petra Kotnik of Anton Paar to forward the sad
message below to the small-angle scattering community.
Many of you may have known Heimo Schnablegger in connection with Anton
Paar's SAXSess instrument product line.
He was also contributing significantly to an ISO SAXS measurement
standard for particle size analysis, currently being drafted by ISO
sub-committee TC 24 / SC 4.
Heimo's sudden passing away about 10 days ago is a shock and a major
loss to the small-angle scattering community.

Andrew Allen
[Chair, IUCr Commission on Small-Angle Scattering]

Dr. Andrew J. Allen, Physicist
U.S. Department of Commerce
Material Measurement Laboratory
Building 223, Room B204
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 6520
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-6520
Phone: 301-975-5982
FAX: 301-975-5334
E-mail: andrew.allen@nist.gov

Orbituary Message for Mag. Dr. Heimo Schnablegger from Anton Paar:

=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=

Graz, May 25, 2012

Mag. Dr. Heimo Schnablegger

March, 1963 – May, 2012

It is our sad duty to inform you of the completely unexpected death of
our Anton Paar colleague of many
years, Mag. Dr. Heimo Schnablegger.

Heimo Schnablegger was born March, 1963 in Villach, Austria. After his
secondary education in
Villach and his obligatory military service, he studied Chemistry at
the University of Graz and wrote his Ph.D.
thesis in Particle Sizing with Scattering Techniques in 1991 in the
group of our longstanding partner Prof. Otto
Glatter at the University of Graz in Austria. Heimo subsequently
worked as a contract assistant at the University
of Graz.

Between 1993 and 1995 he was a Postdoctoral Associate at the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology in
Cambridge//USA. Working with Prof. Robert E. Cohen, he applied Small-
Angle X-ray Scattering and Electron
Microscopy to the characterization of block copolymers.

In the following years 1999 to 2002 he worked as a senior scientist at
the Max-Planck Institute for Colloids
and Interfaces in Golm and at the University of Hamburg. In this
period he focused on the structure and size
determination of hierarchical and self-assembly systems.

 From October 2002, Heimo Schnablegger worked at Anton Paar GmbH in
Graz in the course of our
SAXS product line launch. He was the application-oriented scientist in
this field that we had been seeking for
a long time. With his help, we were able to build up strong
development and sales skills for this product line
and to successfully introduce the new product 'SAXSess' to the market.

Time and again, enthusiastic emails were received full of positive
comments on Heimo Schnablegger, both professional
and personal.

Heimo was a lovable, unconventional, independent and hard-working
colleague. He played the drums as a hobby,
and ultimately it was a concert of his band in Vienna that he was
unable to attend.

We are extremely grateful to Heimo Schnablegger. Without his
collaboration and knowledge, the
developmennt of the SAXSess product line in the last ten years would
not have been possible, a development
we will continue to build on in the future.

We have lost an important and dear colleague in Heimo, who we will
always remember with great admiration.

Heimo, it saddens us deeply that you have left us so early.

Friedrich Santner (CEO ), Petra Kotnik (Dept Manager MC)

=
=
=
=