Fwd: area detectors...

  • Subject: Fwd: area detectors...
  • From: John Barnes <johnbarn@nist.gov>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 08:36:37 -0400 (EDT)

Thisd note was forwarded to sa_scat in the hope of generating some
open discussion. Respond to Dr. Kleppinger, but also feel free to post
comments directly to the listserver.

----- Forwarded message from "Kleppinger, R." <R.Kleppinger@tue.nl> -----
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:58:43 +0200
From: "Kleppinger, R." <R.Kleppinger@tue.nl>
Subject: area detectors...
To: "'john.barnes@nist.gov'" <john.barnes@nist.gov>

Dear John Barnes,

in the framework of our work in an industrial laboratory we are involved in
projects within the field of fine chemicals, polymers, composites etc using
both, wide angle diffraction and small angle scattering. At present our lab
is equipped with several diffractometers (powder, texture, high T, all in
scanning mode) and two slit-collimated SAXS setups (PSD and scanning
mode).
All of the instruments are installed at standard sealed tube X-ray
generators.
At present we are considering an upgrade of our facilities with an area
detector system. Although we performed a survey on commercial detector
systems that might be suited for our purpose (resolution vs. sensitivity!)
and that are available for laboratory use on the market (data processing!),
we lack to some extend first-hand information from more experienced
users,
in particular with respect to the long-term performance and aspects
related
to maintenance which might be quite different for crossed wire, image
plate
or CCD detectors.
In this respect I would be very happy to hear some opinions frm members
of
the X-ray community.

Best regards
R. Kleppinger