SA_Scat progress and challenges

  • Subject: SA_Scat progress and challenges
  • From: "John D. Barnes" <john.barnes@nist.gov>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 98 13:15:30 -0500
Dear Colleagues;
     I have taken the unusual step of attaching the complete subscriber
list for this list server and sending it to everyone. I do not feel that
I am giving anything away by doing this because anyone who wants to can
get the same list by using published instructions to query the list
processing host computer.
     I am distributing the list to everyone in the hope that you will
check to see if those of your collaborators, friends, students, etc. who
ought to be on the list are indeed on it.
     As you can see, the list has grown to over 300 subscribers. Many
names are, however, conspicuous by their absence. There are events and
activities on the horizon in which every small-angle scatterer will want
to participate. These include significant international meetings,
standards activities, and just plan educational chit chat. It would be
nice to have everyone on board when these come up.
     The experience with the list server to date has been that it does
these things quite well. A number of people whom I have encountered in my
travels have thanked me for doing this. The number of people who have
been moved to unsubscribe has been relatively small. The number of
glitches with accidental posts has been modest and I am taking steps to
reduce the more egregious cases when they crop up.
     The list processor software has, however, deleted a number of people
because of problems with E-mail addresses. This happens when accounts
lapse, when they move from one host to another, or when a server is off
line for an extended time.
     With all of that as background I hereby ask each one of you to
examine the list to see if your colleagues who ought to be subscribed are
indeed subscribed. Please pass the suggestion that they visit SAS
Worldwide at http://www.nist.gov/sas and that they consider subscribing
along to those who might be receptive.
     I want to thank all of you for your support so far and I hope that
you will continue to seek help and share your activities with others in
the community. Your suggestions (and especially your offers of help) to
improve the service will be, as always, highly welcome.

Best Wishes
..

Dr. John D. Barnes                       email: john.barnes@nist.gov
NIST Polymer Structure and Mechanics Grp Voice: 301-975-6786
Bldg 224, Rm A209                        FAX: 301-975-4977
NIST, Gaithersburg, MD 20899             URL: http://www.nist.gov/sas
                               or http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/~jdbarnes

Subscribers.980317.SIT.hqx