Paul W. Schmidt

  • Subject: Paul W. Schmidt
  • From: "John D. Barnes" <john.barnes@nist.gov>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 98 15:52:45 -0400
Dear Friends,

I am very sorry to inform you that Paul W. Schmidt passed away yesterday.
Still under the shock over the sudden loss, we hope that he will live on
in
your memories, and in the memory of all others who have known him, as a
great
teacher and researcher, as pioneer in so many different areas of
small-angle
scattering, as a wonderful colleague and friend.

A memorial service will be held at a date yet to be determined. If you
would
would like help us prepare an obituary, or have thoughts of your own of
how
to honor and pay tribute to Paul's scientific legacy, please do not
hesitate
and get in touch with me.

Sincerely yours,

Peter Pfeifer

Peter Pfeifer
Professor of Physics
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Phone:    (573) 882-2335
Fax:      (573) 882-4195
E-mail:   physpepf@showme.missouri.edu
Internet: http://www.missouri.edu/~physwww/pfeifer.html

Dr. John D. Barnes                       email: john.barnes@nist.gov
NIST Polymer Structure and Mechanics Grp Voice: 301-975-6786
Bldg 224, Rm A209                        FAX: 301-975-4977
NIST, Gaithersburg, MD 20899             URL: http://www.nist.gov/sas
                               or http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/~jdbarnes