This is an archive copy of the IUCr web site dating from 2008. For current content please visit https://www.iucr.org.
[IUCr Home Page] [CIF Home Page] [imgCIF Home Page]

Re: [Imgcif-l] CBF Format

Hi Herb

You've missed the point completely of what I wrote. _Of_course_ you could
put the binary header in, but, to quote my last message -

>>so you can't just put the header information as it appears in the
>> native format and expect people to be able to read it by more-or-lessing
>> the file.

Perhaps I should have said "more" or "less" -ing, to make it plainer that
I meant using the programs of those names to output the headers to the
screen. As Charlie Brown used to say (and probably still does) - "good
grief!"

> Dear Harry,
>
>  Actually, if you want the CCD header stictly
> as binary, rather than putting in an ASCII
> translation, you could do that as well, by
> putting it in as CBF binary section, just
> as we will be doing with thumbnails, but
> for debugging, a straight ASCII translation
> of the header before the reorganization
> into the imgCIF categories can be very useful.
>
>  Regards,
>    Herbert

> Herbert J. Bernstein, Professor of Computer Science
>   Dowling College, Kramer Science Center, KSC 121
>        Idle Hour Blvd, Oakdale, NY, 11769
>
>                 +1-631-244-3035
>                 yaya@dowling.edu
>
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, Harry Powell wrote:
>
>> Hi Herb
>>
>> not strictly true. The MarCCD headers are binary, Mar IP headers are
>> ASCII, so you can't just put the header information as it appears in the
>> native format and expect people to be able to read it by more-or-lessing
>> the file.
>>
>> Further to what I wrote yesterday, my experience of native MarCCD headers
>> is that they contain sufficient information to process the image (and
>> indeed full datasets) without reference to external files/lab books etc.
>> So if this information were to be written to a MarCCD CBF, that would be a
>> very good start.
>>
>>>  Actually you can have your miniCBF header and full
>>> header, too, even for MAR.  If you look at the
>>> file converted_flat_orig.cbf in the CBFlib data
>>> files kit, you will see;
>>>
>>> _diffrn_frame_data.id FRAME1
>>> _diffrn_frame_data.detector_element_id ELEMENT1
>>> _diffrn_frame_data.array_id ARRAY1
>>> _diffrn_frame_data.binary_id 1
>>> _diffrn_frame_data.details
>>> ;
>>> DETECTOR = MAR 345;
>>> PIXEL SIZE = 0.15 0.15;
>>> WAVELENGTH = 1.080000;
>>> DISTANCE = 240;
>>> OSCILLATION AXIS = PHI;
>>> PHI = 0;
>>> OSCILLATION RANGE = 1;
>>> PROGRAM = mar345 Version 0.8.6;
>>> DATE = Thu Dec  4 10:23:48 1997;
>>> SCANNER = 26;
>>> FORMAT = 2300  PCK 5290000;
>>> HIGH = 155;
>>> PIXEL = LENGTH 150  HEIGHT 150;
>>> OFFSET = ROFF 5.000  TOFF 0.000;
>>> MULTIPLIER = 1.000;
>>> GAIN = 1.000;
>>> RESOLUTION = 1.761;
>>> PHI.. = START 0.000  END 1.000  OSC 1;
>>> OMEGA = START 0.000  END 0.000  OSC 0;
>>> CHI = 0.000;
>>> TWOTHETA = 0.000;
>>> CENTER = X 1150.000  Y 1150.000;
>>> MODE = TIME;
>>> EXPOSURE TIME = 20.00;
>>> COUNTS = START 19.35 END 19.29  NMEAS 9;
>>> COUNTS.. = MIN 19.27  MAX 19.38;
>>> COUNTS.... = AVE 19.30  SIG 0.03;
>>> INTENSITY = MIN 1  MAX 249051  AVE 207.8  SIG 951.09;
>>> HISTOGRAM = START 0  END 2023  MAX 28307;
>>> GENERATOR = ROTATINGANODE  kV 10.0  mA 20.0;
>>> MONOCHROMATOR = GRAPHITE  POLAR 0.000;

Harry