This is an archive copy of the IUCr web site dating from 2008. For current content please visit https://www.iucr.org.
[IUCr Home Page] [CIF Home Page] [imgCIF Home Page]

Re: The quest for tentative approval.

It looks fine to me.

I am very impressed by the work whichj has been done and the clarity of
the explanations.

With best regards.

Robert Sweet a écrit :

> It's time for action.
>
> There has been some traffic recently among some of us about the prospects
> for further development of the imgCIF/CBF idea, put in tangible form on
> Herb Bernstein's web page:
> http://www.bernstein-plus-sons.com/software/CBF/doc/cbf_definition_rev.html
>
> It appears that the work we have all done on CBF and imgCIF is starting to
> bear fruit, and to be used in real software.  I'm easily persuaded that it
> is time to make what we have done more "official", and Herb and others
> clearly have the attention of the COMCIFS within the IUCr.  If we take the
> next step and ask for approval, others may start to employ it.  The huge
> advantage of this is the this test of fire will begin the process of
> refining the CBF and imgCIF definitions.  Therefore, unless there are
> strenuous objections from the readers of this bulletin board, in the next
> few days we will submit what we have done to COMCIFS for "tentative
> approval".
>
> To quote from I. David Brown:
>
>   "Tentative approval is the first stage towards the final approval that
> occurs when the community has had a chance to discover any obvious defects
> in the dictionary after, say, 12 - 18 months.  Thus tentative approval
> does not preclude changes being made in the dictionary later as a result
> of experience gained (this caveat appears in any tentatively approved
> dictionary) but it puts the draft on the official Comcifs dictionary list.
> It is the intent of tentative approval to give the draft official status,
> thus encouraging the writing of software.  I imagine that any changes
> needed before final approval could be made in a way that ensures upward
> compatibility, particularly if the software writers have already invested
> a lot of effort."
>
> This seems to be a sensible way to go forward.  I thank Herb and Paul
> Ellis especially for the effort they have expended.  We await comments
> from this community.
>
> Sincerely,
> Bob

>         Robert M. Sweet                 E-Dress: SWEET@BNL.GOV
>         Biology Dept.                   Phones:
>         Brookhaven Nat'l Lab.   *New*   631 344 3401  (Office)
>         Upton, NY  11973        Area    631 344 5642  (Beamline at NSLS)
>         U.S.A.                  Code    631 344 3407  (Facsimile)

   Professor Yves Epelboin, LMCP, Université P.M. Curie,
   case 115, 75252 Paris Cedex 05, France
   phone : +33 (0)1 4427 5211  fax : +33 (0)1 4427 3785
   URL http://www.lmcp.jussieu.fr/~epelboin/

Signature cryptographique S/MIME

Reply to: [list | sender only]

Copyright © International Union of Crystallography

IUCr Webmaster