This is an archive copy of the IUCr web site dating from 2008. For current content please visit https://www.iucr.org.
[IUCr Home Page] [CIF Home Page] [imgCIF Home Page]

Re: The quest for tentative approval.

Dear Harry

Just a quick note in response to your last comment:

> * The IUCr warnings in the code I've downloaded include this bit:
>
>  * _________________________________________________________________  *
>  *                                                                    *
>  *  * 1 CIFs and STAR Files may be generated, stored or transmitted,  *
>  *    without permission or charge, provided their purpose is not     *
>  *    specifically for profit or commercial gain, and provided that   *
>                        *************************
>
>  so what would be the position if a dataset were to be collected for
>  someone for money? Would the "collector" need to get written permission
>  from IUCr for this? Might this not impede adoption of this as a standard?

The answer is "No - the IUCr would not hinder this or insist on written
consent". It is understood that the phrasing of the (now rather elderly)
CIF/STAR policy guidelines can give rise to concern, and several people are
working on drafting a much clearer and cleaner statement of the IUCr's
intellectual policy rights. It is hoped that a draft of our intentions will
become available to the community before too long. The essential point is
that CIF/STAR and - hopefully - CBF will become well established standards
for information interchange, and the IUCr recognises that you cannot foster
information interchange by appearing to restrict or impede it.

Regards
Brian McMahon                                             tel: +44 1244 342878
Research and Development Officer                          fax: +44 1244 314888
International Union of Crystallography                  e-mail:  bm@iucr.ac.uk
5 Abbey Square, Chester CH1 2HU, England                         bm@iucr.org

Reply to: [list | sender only]

Copyright © International Union of Crystallography

IUCr Webmaster