This is an archive copy of the IUCr web site dating from 2008. For current content please visit https://www.iucr.org.
[IUCr Home Page] [CIF Home Page] [mmCIF Home Page]

Re: Helix Classification

Sandeep Kumar Bansal (sandeep@mbu.iisc.ernet.in)
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 20:36:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, herbert_bernstein wrote:

> [...]
>                                   HELX_LH_P
> ;                                 left-handed helix with type not specified
>                                   (protein)
> ;
>                                   HELX_LH_OT_P
> ;                                 left-handed helix with type that does not
>                                   conform to an accepted category (protein)
> ;
>                                   HELX_LH_AL_P
>                                  'left-handed alpha helix (protein)'
>                                   HELX_LH_GA_P
>                                  'left-handed gamma helix (protein)'
>                                   HELX_LH_OM_P
>                                  'left-handed omega helix (protein)'
>                                   HELX_LH_PI_P
>                                  'left-handed pi helix (protein)'
>                                   HELX_LH_27_P
>                                  'left-handed 2-7 helix (protein)'
>                                   HELX_LH_3T_P
>                                  'left-handed 3-10 helix (protein)'
>                                   HELX_LH_PP_P
>                                  'left-handed polyproline helix (protein)'
> #
>                                   HELX_N
> ;                                 helix with handedness and type not specified
>                                   (nucleic acid)
> ;
>                                   HELX_OT_N
> ;                                 helix with handedness and type that do not
>                                   conform to an accepted category (nucleic
>                                   acid)
> ;
> #
>                                   HELX_RH_N
> ;                                 right-handed helix with type not specified
>                                   (nucleic acid)
> ;
>                                   HELX_RH_OT_N
> ;                                 right-handed helix with type that does not
>                                   conform to an accepted category (nucleic
>                                   acid)
> ;
>                                   HELX_RH_A_N
>                                  'right-handed A helix (nucleic acid)'
>                                   HELX_RH_B_N
>                                  'right-handed B helix (nucleic acid)'
>                                   HELX_RH_Z_N
>                                  'right-handed Z helix (nucleic acid)'
> #
>                                   HELX_LH_N
> ;                                 left-handed helix with type not specified
>                                   (nucleic acid)
> ;
>                                   HELX_LH_OT_N
> ;                                 left-handed helix with type that does not
>                                   conform to an accepted category (nucleic
>                                   acid)
> ;
>                                   HELX_LH_A_N
>                                  'left-handed A helix (nucleic acid)'
>                                   HELX_LH_B_N
>                                  'left-handed B helix (nucleic acid)'
>                                   HELX_LH_Z_N
>                                  'left-handed Z helix (nucleic acid)'
> #
>                                   TURN_P
>                                  'turn with type not specified (protein)'
>                                   TURN_OT_P
> ;                                 turn with type that does not conform to an

   Hi all,
      let me add my support to Dr. Bernsteins' proposal.  As a student who
does nothing but PDB database analysis, I believe this will make the job of
people like me much much simpler.  I suggest Dr. Bernstein  to forward this mail
to PDB listserver also so that it can  reach a wider audience.

Sandeep

                 *       SANDEEP KUMAR                  *
                 *       M.B.U., IISC.                  *
                 *       BANGALORE                      *
                 *       560012                         *
                 *       Phone 91-80-3092534            *
                 *       sandeep@mbu.iisc.ernet.in      *