Notices

Hodgkin laboratory – a landmark

The former laboratory of Nobel Laureate Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin has been designated as a Chemistry landmark at a UK Royal Society celebration chaired by Graham Richards, the Chairman of the Dept of Chemistry in Oxford. T. Ledwith of the Royal Society of Chemistry presented a memorial plaque that now hangs on the archway of the main entrance to the Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory in South Parks Road. The inscription reads:

'In this building from 1956-1994 and at other times in the Oxford Science Area, professor Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin (1910-1994) OM, FRS, Nobel Laureate, led pioneering work on the structures of antibiotics, vitamins and proteins, including penicillin, Vitamin B12 and insulin using X-ray diffraction techniques. Many methods for solving crystal structures were developed taking advantage of digital computers from the very earliest days. The work provided a basis for much of present day molecular structure driven molecular biology and medicinal chemistry'.