Commission on Crystallographic Nomenclature
The Commission on Crystallographic Nomenclature comprises an elected Chairperson and ex officio
members, namely the editors of the Union's journals and International Tables
, the Chairman of the IUCr/OUP Book series Committee, the Chairman of the Teaching Commission, the Chairman of the Committee for the Maintenance of the Crystallographic Information File Standard, the President and the General Secretary of the IUCr.
Nomenclature problems arising in specific fields of crystallography that come to the attention of, and are recognised as important by, the Commission are studied by ad hoc committees of experts appointed by the Commission. The reports of these working groups, after acceptance by the Commission and the Executive Committee, are published in Acta Crystallographica, Section A.
The results of past working groups, together with their recommendations, are contained in the reports listed below.
Crystallographers are invited to bring additional nomenclature problems to the attention of any Commission member.
- Nomenclature of polytype structures
Acta Cryst. (1984), A40, 399-404.
- Nomenclature for crystal families, Bravais-lattice types and arithmetic classes
Acta Cryst. (1985), A41, 278-280.
- Nomenclature of inorganic structure types
Acta Cryst. (1990), A46, 1-11.
- Statistical descriptors in crystallography
Acta Cryst. (1989), A45, 63-75 and Acta Cryst. (1995), A51, 565-569.
- Definition of symmetry elements in space groups and point groups
Acta Cryst. (1989), A45, 494-499.
- Symbols for symmetry elements and symmetry operations
Acta Cryst. (1992), A48, 727-732.
- Nomenclature, symbols and classification of the subperiodic groups
Acta Cryst. (1993), A49, 594
- Atomic displacement parameter nomenclature
Acta Cryst. (1996), A52, 770-781
- Structural phase transition nomenclature
Acta Cryst. (1998), A54, 1028-1033
- Nomenclature of n-dimensional crystallography. I. Symbols for point-group transformations, families, systems and geometric crystal classes
Acta Cryst. (1999), A55, 761-782
- Symmetry elements in space groups and point groups. Addenda to two IUCr reports on the nomenclature of symmetry
Acta Cryst. (2000), A56, 96-98
- Nomenclature of magnetic, incommensurate, composition-changed morphotropic, polytype, transient-structural and quasicrystalline phases undergoing phase transitions. II. Report of an IUCr Working Group on phase transition nomenclature
Acta Cryst. (2001), A57, 614-626
- Report of a Subcommittee on the Nomenclature of n-dimensional crystallography. II. Symbols for arithmetic crystal classes, Bravais classes and space groups
Acta Cryst. (2002), A58, 605-621
- Brightness, spectral brightness or brilliance - Report of the Working Group on synchrotron radiation nomenclature
J. Synchrotron Rad. (2005), 12, 385
- Report of the Working Group on crystal phase identifiers
Acta Cryst. (2005), A61, 575-580
Crystallographic teaching aids
- Teaching Pamphlets
- Educational resources
- Crystallographic symbols This will provide a link to sections 1.1 to 1.4 of Volume A of International Tables for Crystallography when software problems have been resolved
- Basic crystallographic relations This will provide a link to Sections 1.1 and 1.2 of Volume C of International Tables for Crystallography when software problems have been resolved
Other nomenclature resources