This is an archive copy of the IUCr web site dating from 2008. For current content please visit https://www.iucr.org.
[IUCr Home Page] [CIF Home Page] [mmCIF Home Page]

Re: Status

John Westbrook (jwest@ndb.rutgers.edu)
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 07:37:33 -0500

Anthony Colson wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> We have been using an abbreviated form of the CIF file format for quite some
> time now.  We would like to write a c++ class to handle the new cccif format to
> interface with our class objects.
>
> What is the state of development of the new standard?  Has an official standard
> benen adopted yet or is it still being developed.  If it is still being
> developed, does anybody know of an estimated completion time?

Version of the mmCIF dictionary has been approved by the IUCr body which
oversees
dictionary development and maintenance.   The latest version of the
dictionary
and other information related can be found at
http://ndbserver.rutgers.edu/mmcif
or one of the mirrors of this site.

Although the content of the versoin 1.0 dictionary is considered stable,
the mmCIF
dictionary is being actively developed.   The planned evolution and
maintenance
of the dictionary is described at
http://ndbserver.rutgers.edu/mmcif/dict-templates/extending.html.

> Thanks
>
> P.S. For our previous class we used bison++/flex++ to parse the cif file.  Are
> their any other better ways/tools one can use to write a cif parser?

Most of our work has employed  GNU flex and bison or hand written
parsers.  We have also used the PCCTS tools developed by
Terence Parr.

Regards,

John Westbrook

  John Westbrook
  Department of Chemistry
  610 Taylor Road
  Piscataway, NJ 08854-8087
  e-mail: jwest@ndb.rutgers.edu
  Ph:  (732) 445-4290  Fax: (732) 445-4320