Crystallographic Information and Data Management
A Satellite Workshop to the 28th European Crystallographic Meeting
University of Warwick, Coventry, England
August 23-24, 2013
Arrival on campus
- Delegate joining instructions (PDF file). Note for visitors to previous conferences at Warwick: the new Conference reception area behind Senate House is used for check-in, luggage storage etc. (not the Rootes building, as in previous years).
- Warwick campus map for delegates 2013 (PDF file)
All sessions will take place on the University of Warwick campus, Gibbet Hill Rd, Coventry CV4 7AL. The following rooms have been assigned.
|Thu 22 Aug: Informal working group UWA/IUCr 09:30-17:30||Sciences B2.04 (Location 9 on map)|
|Thu 22 Aug: NeXuS/HDF5/CIF integration 14:00-17:00||Sciences B2.02 (Location 9 on map)|
|Fri 23 Aug: Workshop Day 1 09:00-18:00||Sciences B2.02 (Location 9 on map)|
|Sat 24 Aug: Workshop Day 2 09:00-18:00||Sciences B2.02 (Location 9 on map)|
|Sun 25 Aug: Symposium 09:00-17:00||Social Sciences O.21 (Location 59 on map)|
Based on information on the University of Warwick website, which also has additional information.
AirNearest international airports are:
- Birmingham International Airport (BHX): to get to the University from Birmingham airport either: (cheapest) take the train to Coventry (£3.50 return, 10 mins) and then local bus (£1.60 single, 25 mins; exact fare must be paid to driver) or taxi (about £10, 15 mins) to the University of Warwick; or (possibly slightly quicker, but expensive - about £30 for the half-hour ride) take a taxi from the airport direct to the University of Warwick
- London Heathrow (LHR) has many more flights, and is about 2 hours away from Coventry either by bus (National Express) or by rail (via London). The bus option is simpler, and cheaper. Departures from Heathrow Airport on 21 August at 07:15, 08:30, 09:45, 11:00, 12:15, 13:30.
- Manchester (MAN): rail connections from Manchester Airport to Coventry (usually 2 or 3 per hour). Journay time 2h 15m - 2h 45m; cost about £16-£50.
Nearest main-line railway station is Coventry, served directly from London Euston, Birmingham New Street (on average every 10 minutes during the day), Birmingham International (serving the airport, on average every 10 minutes during the day), Oxford, Leicester.
If travelling by coach, the most convenient major centre is Coventry which is well served by national links. From Coventry, there are frequent local bus services to the University. Passengers may be able to alight a coach at the University central campus bus stop; however this needs to be booked 24 hours in advance of travel and not all services offer this option. Details of coach travel can be obtained from . Megabus also offer a coach service to Coventry from a selection of locations around the United Kingdom, including London. A Megabus coach stop is located at Cannon Park Shopping Centre, a 5-10 minute walk from central campus.
There are regular bus services to the University campus from Coventry City Centre and Coventry Rail Station with the journey taking approximately 30 minutes.
- National Express Coventry service number 12 runs from the city centre bus station (Pool Meadow) via Coventry Rail Station to the University Central Campus. Service number 11 follows the same route but continues on from campus to Leamington Spa, via Kenilworth. Number 12 & 11 timetable
- The Travel De Courcey 360a/360c route runs in a loop from and back to the University Hospital via Arena Tesco, Eastern Green, University of Warwick, Cannon Park, Cheylesmore, Jaguar Land Rover, Willenhall and Clifford Bridge Road. Number 360a/360c timetable
- Stagecoach also provides a service that passes the University. The Stagecoach service X17 runs from the city centre, passing the junction of Gibbet Hill Road and Kenilworth Road. The entrance to the Gibbet Hill campus is about 5 minutes walk from this bus stop. After reaching campus this service goes on to Kenilworth, Leamington Spa, Warwick Hospital and Warwick Town Centre. X17 timetable
- If you are travelling from Leamington Spa, Stagecoach provides a dedicated frequent bus service, the Unibus (U1) that passes through campus. There is a second version of this route that passes through Kenilworth and is named the U2. For information on this service, please visit the Stagecoach website. This service also covers Coventry City Centre and Coventry Rail Station on Sundays and Public Bank Holidays. Unibus (U1 & U2) timetable
- The Travel Coventry service number 11 also connects Leamington Spa and Kenilworth with the university campus and Coventry. Number 11 timetable
Bus Travel tips
- Travel Coventry buses do not usually give change so make sure you have the correct money available before making your journey. You can find information about fares on the National Express Coventry website but it is best to check with the driver when you board the bus.
- Stagecoach buses do give change on the majority of their services.
- From Coventry Rail Station visitors should follow the signs to Warwick Road (a 2 minute walk) and from there catch the Travel Coventry services 11, 12 or U17 (Sundays only), which travel onto the main campus - see above.
- From the North: From the M69/M6 interchange (M6 Jct 2) take A46 towards Warwick and Coventry S & E. After approximately 3.5 miles you will reach Tollbar End roundabout (junction with A45). At the roundabout, follow signs for A45 Birmingham. After approximately 3 miles you will cross the A429 (Kenilworth Road); half a mile after this junction take the left-hand turn signposted 'University of Warwick'. Follow signs for University of Warwick (and Warwick Arts Centre) across two roundabouts. You are now approaching the University of Warwick from Kirby Corner Road.
- From the South East: From M45 Jct 1 take A45 towards Coventry. After approximately 7 miles you will reach Tollbar End roundabout (junction with A46) follow signs for A45 Birmingham. Now follow directions as for arriving from the North.
- From the South: From M40 Jct 15 take A46 towards Coventry. After approximately 8 miles leave A46 at junction signposted 'University of Warwick and Stoneleigh'. After a further 1.5 miles you will cross the A429 (Kenilworth Road). You are now approaching the University of Warwick from Gibbet Hill Road.
- From the West: From M42 Jct 6 take A45 towards Coventry. After approximately 9 miles you will pass a large Sainsbury store on your left. At the next roundabout (Fire Station on right) take the right-hand exit, signposted 'University and Canley'. Follow signs for University of Warwick (and Warwick Arts Centre) across two roundabouts. You are now approaching the University of Warwick from Kirby Corner Road.