Re: [ddlm-group] Use of elides in strings

Nick Spadaccini wrote:
> It appears to me that we have spent far too long on a syntactic issue which
> can be avoided 99.9999% of the time. Quite simply given the 5 ways to
> delimit strings, it is next to impossible to get a situation where you
> cannot choose one of those to make the problem go away.
>
> I think the RCSB systematically avoid it by choosing
>
> "ab'cd"
> 'ab"cd'
> ;ab'"cd
> ;

IMHO, it would be cleaner to have an consistent elide mechanism that
works 100% of the time, rather than add yet more quote mechanisms, and
not bother to add triple quoting to the CIF syntax.

If the semicolon-delimited quotes were updated to require an elided
leading space on all quoted lines, the reverse-solidus elide sequence
can also be avoided. It can also contain an entire CIF file, which can
be valuable, even if some people think it is "silly".

Herbert's line-folding example:
;\
;\
;

would then be written as
;\
  ;\
;

The disadvantage is that it is not fully compatible with CIF1.1, but
RCSB already indents intervening lines to match the first line, which is
shifted by the beginning semicolon. For example (with ellipses added to
avoid email folding):

;              The collection of x, y, and z ...
                with reference to a Cartesian ...
                system.
;

Even without changing the current syntax, you can put CIF within CIF by
indenting the multi-line string at the application/dictionary side.

Joe Krahn