IUCr Support of MeetingsThe IUCr provides financial support of symposia, conferences, meetings, workshops and schools on topics relevant to crystallography. Events that are eligible for support are as follows:
- Annual meetings of one of the Regional Associates (ACA, AfCA, AsCA, ECA, LACA) including respective satellite meetings
- International meetings organised by an IUCr Commission
- National or international meetings or workshops in a region in which crystallography should be developed/revitalized (for such meetings travel support under the Visiting Professorship Scheme is also possible)
- International meetings or workshops in a well-developed country with strong support from an IUCr Commission and/or a strong teaching component
- Smaller international meetings or schools on a topic of particular interest for the IUCr
Events that are scheduled to occur within one month of an IUCr Congress are not eligible for support. Events that are scheduled to occur between one and two months of an IUCr Congress need the written approval of the Congress Chair as part of the application material.
The IUCr observes the basic policy of non-discrimination and affirms the right and freedom of scientists to associate in international scientific activity without regard to such factors as ethnic origin, religion, citizenship, language, political stance, gender, sex or age, in accordance with the Statutes of the International Council for Science. As a consequence strong emphasis should be given by organisers to provide a programme that is balanced with respect to gender and nationality.
To request IUCr financial support for meetings, an application form needs to be completed and sent to the Chair of the Meeting Support Committee via email. Please note that only COMPLETE applications will be processed.
Dr Manfred S. Weiss, Macromolecular Crystallography, Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin, Germany
Application Form Guidance
- Applications for support are considered if they are submitted at least nine months in advance of the date of the meeting.
- Requests from satellite meetings may be submitted, and possible financial support requested, separately or through the Organising Committee of the main meeting.
- Meetings (other than satellite meetings) scheduled to be held within one month before or after an IUCr Congress will not be considered for sponsorship. For any meetings scheduled to be held between one and two months before or after a Congress, the application for sponsorship requires the approval of the Chair of the Congress Programme Committee. For meetings (other than satellite meetings) scheduled to be held, in the respective region, within one month before or after a meeting of a Regional Associate (African Crystallographic Association, American Crystallographic Association, Asian Crystallographic Association, European Crystallographic Association, Latin-American Crystallographic Association), the applicants for sponsorship must seek the approval of the Chair of the Regional Associate Organizing Committee.
- IUCr support can only be given to meetings that are international in character and open to participants from all countries. For international meetings the membership of the Programme Committee is a good indication of this. National meetings are only supported if held in developing countries.
- IUCr support should only be given to meetings that include a speaker policy and statistics relating to gender balance on the conference website. The policy should be consistent with the IUCr's policy on gender balance.
- Active crystallographers should be involved in the organization of the conference and one or more sessions should deal with specific crystallographic topics. This does not automatically include any session on condensed matter physics, materials science or symmetry not related to crystallography. According to these criteria all meetings organized by IUCr Commissions automatically qualify.
- The IUCr continues to support and uphold ISC's policy of non-discrimination and adheres to its decisions and procedures concerning free circulation of scientists. Organizers of any meeting seeking IUCr sponsorship and support must assure the Meeting Support Committee that the authorities of the country in which the meeting is to take place guarantee free entrance of bona fide scientists from all countries.
- Explicit support from the Chairs of the relevant IUCr Commission(s) is required for any international meeting (except for the meetings of Regional Associates) and from the Commission on Crystallographic Teaching for any international schools (except for those organized by an IUCr Commission). Email addresses for the Chairs may be found here.
- Travel support for young scientists is available for all meetings (including schools). This money should not be used for waiver of registration fees or for any purposes other than travel, accommodation and subsistence for the sponsored scientists. It is recommended that the presentations of young scientists supported by the IUCr should be in English.
- Consideration should be given as to whether the proposed meeting is appropriate in subject, form and timing with respect to other related meetings.
- Except in special cases, IUCr funds should not be used to sponsor more than one event per year in the same location.
- Registration fees should be the same for both local and non-local participants.
Meetings supported since 2006
A full list of meetings that have been supported since 2006 may be found here.