Re: [ddlm-group] Multiple encodings for CIF2?

My thoughts on this:

i) If the encoding isnt specified, it could prove very difficult to determine what encoding was used for a particular CIF.
There are numerous text encodings that are impossible to identify without some sort of content header?

ii) If the encoding is specified as *any one* of a set of *identifiable* encodings (e.g. UTF-n), there is still the possibility that a CIF will be written without the appropriate identifier (e.g. BOM)

iii) If the encoding is specified as *any one* of a set of *identifiable* encodings (e.g. UTF-n), then it is likely that it is easy to switch between these encodings, so why not specify only one (e.g. UTF-8) knowing that any system that wishes to process CIFs in one of the other encodings can readily write it out again in the original encoding?

iv) If the encoding is specified as *one or more* of a set of *identifiable* encodings (e.g. UTF-8 and UTF-32 in the same CIF), it is unlikely that any basic text-handling software would perform the appropriate encoding switch? Furthermore, what is to be gained from allowing mixed encodings? If an encoding switch were to be allowed at the start of a data value, this could be useful for storing data that cant be readily stored otherwise, but if the allowed encodings are all identifiable 'text' encodings, then it should be possible to store the data in just one encoding?

v) Following on from (iv), if the encoding is specified as e.g. UTF-8 for CIF keywords, data names, delimiters, constructs... but any other encoding is allowed for data values to enable any machine-readable data to be stored in the CIF, then once again it is unlikely that a traditional text editor will cope, and the chances of data corruption are high without specialized software?

So I think CIF2 should be 'text' with a single encoding - UTF-8

If mixed encodings are to be allowed, then a single encoding should be specified for cif keywords, datanames, etc - i.e. everything outside the data values.
Data *values* could then default to that encoding but could also be anything else - as long as they're identifiable?

Cheers

Simon