Re: [ddlm-group] DDLm aliases (subject changed). .. .. .

Let me just talk about the category join issue.  The current documentation
is vague about the issue of how one should match up the keys, and John B.'s
interpretation may well be what was intended, but I think for the join
the actually be useful, it has to be extended to cover the normalization
and denormalization cases, in which the choice of keys depends on
the degree of normalization.  This actually gets back to an old
disagreement between CCP4 and the PDB, which could finally be resolved
with a liberal (i.e. denormalization-friendly) interpretation
of category join.

When you normalize a category, you often strip out several columns
that were originally key components in the larger category, and put them
entirely in the child category, so there is less repetition in the
parent category.  If we are to allow the option of using the
dictionary with the normalized categories with fewer key components to be
presented as the original wider, flatter denormalized categories,
then we need to interpret the _category.parent_join in a way
that permits more key components in the denormalized presentation,
e.g.:

    If a tag in the child category has a linked tag in the parent
category (either directly or by having a common directly or indirectly
linked tag), then the tag from the parent category
must be used in the joined presentation.

    If a tag in the child category has no linked tag in the
parent category, then an attempt will be made to construct
a tag using dotted notation combining the parent category
name with the child category object name.  If that composite
name does not conflict with an existing tag, then that
composite name will be used in the joined presentation.  If
there is a conflict, the child category tag name will be
used in the joined presentation.

    If a tag from the child category is a member of the key of
the child category and a joined presentation includes that
item, then it will automatically be added to the key of the
joined presentation.

This interpretation of the join semantics would allow flexible
use of normalized and denormalized presentations of data
without having to clutter parent categories with definitions
from child categories that are not needed, and indeed cannot
be used, in the normalized presentation, allowing greatly simplified
flat tables for such things as data harvest, but clean, normalized
tables for database loads.

I'll send an updated draft reflecting John's other comments in the
a separable discussion.

    Regards,
       Herbert