Re: [ddlm-group] Treatment of CIF2 unicode characters with CIF1equivalents

  • To: ddlm-group <ddlm-group@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ddlm-group] Treatment of CIF2 unicode characters with CIF1equivalents
  • From: James Hester <jamesrhester@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 09:09:15 +1000
  • DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025;h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to;bh=7yW43jErOvt/VSyad8NCqJjSGQxlIpnSlNn9d+QcfCU=;b=kYnpqfW+L9hhZVDLMFPYPzXkZg9o9sl9EiOQvELJnLNgU+TUWPdle3aXwByyY1wT6lngc5lsWp5sXwHKKhzCd9uEY5/3y2S/TElU9mtEelt5QI4lKhsd9/zi0kS0zuiFubFR1HsjuguFsqPOrztifvg+HwzXNYUBy+FFjGwNVhd8bfWrLRImelTMWnT7v2VTraIlD8V6DyibfLNW4zzq58PVSpwYFeogdEggePRn8yUW4NShWhoSPJQi8v4nj4QlN4xa3fWjeHV+RQTjydpwZeGdG/hRi+7PXFA/zszQ10Yq9IzqbziPzhBLOjlbeDrJVnTLXJLlzDRInOHdk4pw/A==
Hi Simon and others,

I think I prefer this approach of clarifying markup conventions for CIF2, and so we drop the more CIF2->CIF1 translation approach I had initially proposed. Natural translations to ASCII strings will suggest themselves in the process.  This is in the spirit of the CIF2 syntax paper appendix as well.

As a simple solution, I suggest that the markup conventions described in Vol G 2.2.7.4 remain available under the same conditions as described in 2.2.7.4.13.  There are then two ways to represent the Unicode code points corresponding to the characters listed in 2.2.7.4.14-16.  Any other approach is likely to be fraught, as "ASCII string" is a subset of "UTF-8 string" and switching on and off markup depending on the presence of non-ASCII characters is fragile behaviour.

Should we introduce "triple backslash" to represent backslash, as double backslash is already used?

If we agree, I suggest that it is added to our CIF2 FAQ and eventually finds its way into the equivalent of 2.2.7.4 in the new Vol G.

all the best,
James.