Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 18:16:36 +0200
From: Klaus Brandenburg <info@crystalimpact.de>
To: I D Brown <idbrown@McMaster.ca>
Subject: Michael Berndt is dead

Bonn, 1 July 2003

We are sorry to report the death of our long-term partner Dr. Michael
Berndt. Yesterday he died after a long, serious illness at the age of 39.

Michael studied chemistry and received his PhD in 1995 in the group of Prof.
Bergerhoff at the university of Bonn, Germany. Even during his studies he
was active in writing chemistry software. For the retrieval software of the
Inorganic Crystal Structure Database (ICSD), he won the German-Austrian
Academic Software Award in 1993. In 1997, he founded the company Crystal
Impact together with Dr. Klaus Brandenburg. Michael was substantially
involved in the development of the Browser software for the Inorganic
Materials Database "Pauling File". Based on his long-term experience in this
area, he started with a new, universally applicable system for the
simultaneous access to diverse crystallographic databases.

With Michael we lose an always competent, reliable and helpful colleague.

Dr. Klaus Brandenburg und Dr. Holger Putz
Crystal Impact GbR
Postfach 1251
D-53002 Bonn
Tel.: +49 - 228 - 9 81 36 43